What are the Sun people thinking about working on?

Mike Brenner

Feb 10, 2011, 6:10:02 PM2/10/11
to CIVIC HACK DAY
I've heard a few bits and pieces but thought it might be nice to share
with the group what some of the Baltimore Sun people are thinking
about working on? Would love to help you guys out in any way!

-
Mike B.

Ian Hunter

Feb 10, 2011, 8:25:23 PM2/10/11
to civic-h...@googlegroups.com
Likewise, not coming with an idea but can offer Ruby/Rails/Sinatra and/or jQuery help.
--
Event Info at: http://CivicHackDay.org

Gus

Feb 11, 2011, 10:52:22 AM2/11/11
to CIVIC HACK DAY
Hi Ian,

I'm a Sun person. I'm interested in using the property tax data to
create a map that shows the property tax base in each City Council
District. Then, take the same data and show how the property tax base
would shift under the new proposed City Council District map that was
pitched by the mayor. It's my anecdotal understanding that the new
proposal district map would cause some big shifts in certain parts of
the city, i.e. downtown.

The goal would be to see how economic power, tax base and clout would
shift among the districts as the district map is revised.

Visually, we'd have to figure out away to present the property tax
data so it's not too cluttered or dense.

I'm not quite sure if this can be pulled off, but if you have any
ideas, please share!

Gus Sentementes