baltimore red line | public transportation data

jan go

Feb 14, 2011, 6:43:22 PM2/14/11
to civic-h...@googlegroups.com
hey folks!

i dropped by for a bit on saturday and met a few of you and checked out some of the projects that you're working on... very exciting!

i'm on the baltimore red line canton station planning committee and we're trying to organize some public meetings to get the community involved in the planning process... if you're unfamiliar w/ the red line, they are proposing a new light rail line which will run east-west from bayview to social security in woodlawn.  the Canton stop is currently proposed to be at the corner of boston & lakewood streets, so i thought the Beehive folks and possibly ETC folks may be interested in participating.  you can catch up with what's been going on here:  http://www.baltimoreredline.com/canton

if anyone is interested in working on some type of mapping project, let me know... i didn't really see any transportation data online, but if you have recommendations as far as datasets to request or how to visualize this data, it'd be greatly appreciated.  i am mainly interested in ridership data (will this line actually be utilized by commuters or hard-core orioles/ravens fans?), connections to other existing public transit and planned regional transit (it'd be awesome if BWI, DC, Philly, NYC were easily accessible from Canton via public transit), as well as proximity to populated employment centers and colleges/universities.

i'd also be interested in setting up some type of social networking site which has forums that reach out to local community organizations and possibly involving middle/high school students who could take part in the web development process to give them some "real world" experience...

if you'd like to collaborate, please do not hesitate to contact me!

jan
443-756-1035

Christopher Sean Morrison

Feb 15, 2011, 2:07:10 AM2/15/11
to CIVIC HACK DAY
I'd love to get ahold of the existing above-ground light rail
infrastructure data (e.g. route shapefiles) to determine if there's
correspondence with crime and/or property value in the surrounding
areas. Even better, an analysis of traffic flow and increased parking
congestion using the existing published street data and unpublished
data on traffic flow patterns in the city.

For example, everyone I know that lives in Canton (admittedly
anecdotal) is strongly against a surface line on Boston street. Most
support public transportation, especially below-ground rail, but
Canton parking is so constrained that there is a resolution being
pushed now by the CCA to eliminate most bus stops in Canton. That's
just to increase parking spots.

With the existing shapefile street data and unpublished shapefile data
on the proposed surface route, one could directly evaluate the impact
on parking. There is approximately room for 4.5 "lanes" now, two of
which are night-time "overflow" parking for the neighborhood (when
parking is the worst). Getting updated data on the sched. C modified
redline route, particularly the surface portions, would be necessary
for performing a useful analysis.

Aside from parking, city data on traffic would be great information to
have to either abate congestion concerns or justify alternatives. It
wouldn't be too difficult to work up a traffic simulation using the
existing published shapefile data and city traffic data. Modeling
parking and traffic projections are projects I'd definitely be
interested in helping with.

Cheers!
Sean

jan go

Mar 1, 2011, 1:32:19 PM3/1/11
to civic-h...@googlegroups.com
Sean and James,

We have our meeting tonight so I will bring up your feedback and get back to you both and perhaps we can meetup sometime next week to collaborate!

Thanks!

Jan
443-756-1035

James Schaffer

Mar 1, 2011, 1:46:12 PM3/1/11
to civic-h...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great, thanks for getting back to me.

--
Event Info at: http://CivicHackDay.org

jan go

Mar 4, 2011, 7:43:54 PM3/4/11