Battery Heating

DavidH

Mar 1, 2010, 12:36:10 PM3/1/10
to Civic EV Kit
Hi All-
A few weeks ago I ordered and installed Farnam Battery Heater Pads
from KTA EV and they have done wonders for my EV! I have one pad under
each battery, and I built my own temperature control that heats the
batteries up to 76F. Initially it takes many hours, 6-8, to get the
temperature up from 50 to 76F, however once it get's there my
insulation does a good job in keeping the heat in and the pads will
activate every 4-5 hours for about 30 minutes to keep the temp at 76F.
These are 35 watts a piece, and I have mine running off AC power only
because driving keeps the batteries toasty anyways.

I have noticed huge improvements in my EV in the winter, and I am
estimating I now have my full range back. I was down to about 10-12
miles from my usual 20 miles. (Though I only need 17 miles for my
commute) I am in the process of testing the range using short break in
cycles and running longer each time. My last trip was 8.8 miles and my
next one will be at least 12 miles, and I will increase it until I
reach 17/18 miles of driving with full charging in between. I had my
batteries replaced under warranty last year and I want to baby them
and not make the same mistakes I did with my last set.

The only thing is I can't have both my heater pads and my charger
plugged in at the same time due to power limitations of the wall
socket, but I am working on a way around that.

-David

Tim Kutscha

Mar 1, 2010, 3:10:23 PM3/1/10
to civic-...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thanks for the update! I suppose if you have two extension cords
running on different circuit breakers, you could charge and heat at the
same time...

Cheers,
Tim

-David

DavidH

Mar 9, 2010, 9:16:28 PM3/9/10
to Civic EV Kit
I am thinking about using two cables, now that I actually have two. I
just need wall power!

David