Ceramic element blues

Bob Bath

Dec 8, 2008, 11:44:02 PM12/8/08
to Civic EV Kit
Winter coming up; ceramic element turned on. Smell of burning plastic
fills the cabin. Joy. I installed it correctly inside the original
Honda heater bin, and it's given 3 years of flawless service. Now to
find time to rip apart the dash a second time... or to sell
CivicWithACord and prepare for an AC conversion with lithium.
Dang,

Tim Kutscha

Dec 9, 2008, 12:04:54 AM12/9/08
to civic-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

I'm really sorry to hear about your heater. I've been surviving with thick sweaters,
but that ceramic element sounds nice. If you do decide to tear apart the dash
again, please let us know what shifted/melted so that we can learn and try to
avoid it.
Do you have the $$$ for AC and Lithium? If so, which system are you considering
using?

Cheers,
Tim

Bob Bath

Dec 10, 2008, 10:37:15 PM12/10/08
to Civic EV Kit
Turned out that one _must_ turn on the fan first, then the element. I
was trying to cheat, and pre-heat the element for 30 sec. or so first,
to have hotter air. Not a good idea. Problem solved!
As far as AC/lithium, I'm banking on Nissan and others to have the
magic of mass production help bring costs down. The big key is
battery management and larger mass-produced cells.
peace,