Polypropylene welding & heater element

Bob Bath

Dec 22, 2008, 11:21:32 AM12/22/08
to Civic EV Kit
Plastic welding the battery boxes was, along with yanking the dash and
accessing the heater element box, were the most unpleasant parts of
the conversion process for me. I'm hoping that people who are experts
in the plastic welding department will come out of the woodwork, and
post a bit.
Both that, and mounting of the ceramic heater element are the least-
videotaped aspects of my ride which, I feel, lots of people would
benefit from.
Appreciatively,

Tim Kutscha

Dec 22, 2008, 11:51:08 AM12/22/08
to civic-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

I hope you're staying warm in central Oregon. We're completely snowed in here in Portland.
While I went with AGM batteries to avoid the whole plastic welding adventure, I still am considering
installing a ceramic heater core. Rest assured, I'll be taking a load of pictures for that process.

Is there a particular heater core and relay that you recommend?

Cheers,
Tim

Bob Bath

Dec 22, 2008, 8:00:50 PM12/22/08
to Civic EV Kit
I got my heater with the relay kit at KTA services. My only beef is
that the magnet on the relay has come apart and has needed to be
epoxied once. Otherwise, it's a slick operation.
As far as installation, either put it in the empty air inlet duct
located above the passenger's legs, which will save you lots of
installation time-- or follow your Helm manual closely. Lots of wires
behind the dash-- they'll all go back together just fine, but it will
make you a bit nervous until the last bolt is tightened and it's all
done...
peace,