Universal hair dryers as heaters...

Bob Bath

Feb 19, 2009, 9:11:26 AM2/19/09
to Civic EV Kit
Hey all,
In my VoltsRabbit, I converted a space heater with a 12V muffin fan
run off the cigarette lighter, and of course the heater element was
good off the HV pack. It sat on the dash, looked ugly, but did the
job.
As I indicated in a former post, mounting a ceramic element in the
heater box gives a slick appearance, but some heat is lost in the
ductwork; it's less localized.
I've been told that I could take the DC HV line, and use it to
power a "universal" hair dryer. That is, it can take 120 AC or DC.
But how do I know which are universals. Anyone using a specific brand
in this way? Locations to buy?
Thanks,

Tim Kutscha

Feb 19, 2009, 9:54:14 AM2/19/09
to civic-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

I installed hair dryers in my 914 EV. I've found that all of them tend to be universal.
I took the cheapest ones at Fred Meyer that were rated for 50/60Hz operation and
had a 110/220V switch for international usage. They've worked without a problem.
The biggest issue I found is finding hair dryers that I can use plumbing couplings
with. Some of them have tapered nozzles that tend to slip right out of any clamp.

http://914ev.blogspot.com/2007/10/hair-dryers-installed.html

Cheers,
Tim