Support for Websockets and SSL in Zephyr

Iván García Herrera

Mar 30, 2020, 6:26:33 AM3/30/20
to civetweb
AFAIK, civetweb was built for zephyr without support for webockets and SSL, is that right? If so, would there be any way to add support for websockets and SSL for its use in zephyr?

bel

Mar 30, 2020, 4:53:20 PM3/30/20
to civetweb
The Zephyr support has been added by tgorochowik in this pull request: https://github.com/civetweb/civetweb/pull/770
I don't know what build options ara used when integrating CivetWeb in a larger project like a zephyr distribution.
So I can answer just based on my knowledge from the code base of CivetWeb:

Websockets (for C) are fully implemented in CivetWeb without any additional external dependency (Websockets for Lua of course require Lua).

TLS/SSL libraries (cryptographic libraries for HTTPS support) are not in the code base of CivetWeb - they have always been external libraries. Often OpenSSL is used for this, but CivetWeb has also been used with yassl/wolfSSL, BoringSSL and mbedtls.These libraries have different licenses than CivetWeb. Adding cryptographic to a product may also make it subject to exports regulations (depending on your country and the country of your customer). For these reasons (and some others), the CivetWeb source tree does not contain any TLS library, but it is prepared to use one, if you provide one. I don't know if the creators of your Zephyr distribution provided any crypro library - in case they did not it will be definitely much harder to add TLS support than websocket support.