Hike and bike trail

1 view

shaine

Jul 29, 2005, 12:55:54 AM7/29/05
to City of Mission, Texas
I wrote about the hike and bike trail at the Mission Nature Park. I
love going there and think it's one of the best additions to the park
system. You can read the article at
http://missiontexas.blogspot.com/2005/07/mission-hike-and-bike-trail.html
if you like.

shaine

Jul 30, 2005, 12:50:40 PM7/30/05
to City of Mission, Texas
Got this in the mail:
------------------------------------
It is a good site. Accentuating the Hike and Bike Trail is a great
idea, nature in deed should be visited and appreciated.

Obviously you have not visited and really read anything on our website.

Apparently you're just another sheep in their flock. Maybe one day
you'll understand, but then again maybe not.

Good luck in life, stay healthy and learn about your environment.

God Bless,

ADELITA

------------------------------------

Responding in order:
1. Thank you. I agree that nature should be appreciated and the efforts
of our city to maintain this resource should be congratulated.

2. I've read the site. Here is the summary. Many companies produced,
stored, or transported chemicals we NOW know are harmful to life.
People who lived there, continue to live there, or are descended from
people who lived there have unexplained illnesses. Corporations, the
government, and lawyers have been unable or unwilling to do anything
with these cases despite the Mission site being declared a superfund
site. I've seen the pictures and read the pdfs.

3. I am a sheep in nobody's flock. Just because I am not one of your
sheep doesn't mean I am somebody else's. I understand what you are
doing and what you do.

5. Thank you for the well wishes.

I totally disagree with the way you go about helping these people. To
boil it down, the tactic is: you bastards must help us because you have
caused this misery. We will embarrass and extort you every chance we
get until you pay up. If this affects the rest of the city (friends and
neighbors of those affected) negatively, so what? If we can't be happy,
nobody will. You happy people, look at what we are suffering. You
should be ashamed of your happiness and give us money.

Why not just focus on helping these people? Leave the litigation off
the site. You know very well that attorneys are the only winners in
these things. Why bother laying blame when it would be more spiritually
satisfying to simply help these people in the here and now, not with
the promise of a big payoff that may never happen? Guilt trips are a
big turn off these days. It's time to change the play. I worked at US
PIRG (Public Interest Research Group) and for the Sierra Club up in
Austin for a while. I got to see how much of a business the whole
environmental movement is. So, if you want to stay in business, move
into the 2000's. You have 30 seconds to make your pitch. You need to
get more people on your side, not just other environmentalists. They
are already converted. You need to get those who are on the fence or
the other side of the fence to come over to your side. Can't do that by
blame and shame these days. My Gen X companions are a bit more cynical
than the baby boomers.

I'd be willing to give if you packaged things better.

Good luck.

shaine

Jul 30, 2005, 4:04:57 PM7/30/05
to City of Mission, Texas
I got this in the mail a while ago.

------------------------------------
I linked your site from our blog. Below is what it says.

--ADELITA

I heard about another Mission site that mentioned our site within it.
It is: www.missiontexas.net. This is what they had to say about us:

"Mission-Texas.com You would think that this would be a community
oriented site. It's a single issue website run by La Raza UnidaK. This
site is dedicated to the quest to prove that the pesticide plant on
Holland is the cause for cancer for residents in the area. They also
have a blog at Blogger.com."

Firstly, thank you www.missiontexas.net for your link. I wanted to know
that your opinion inspired me to address the chisme going around the
town of Mission about our cause. Here are most popular lies about
us/it:

Lie #1 - The contamination is only around the areas where the bodegas
are located.

The constant Valley breeze, rains and floods exposed a radius of many
miles of land and communities to these contaminants. These chemical
mixing and production plants were in production for over 40 years, not
to mention the chemical train spills that occurred in those areas and
around other parts.

Lie #2 - WE aren't community oriented.

Then why are we comprised of literally thousands from the community?

Lie #3 - We are run by La Raza Unida.

We team up with La Raza Unida, United Farm Workers, the Center for
Health, Environment, and Justice, the Esperanza Center, MECha, Sierra
Club, Environmental Working Group, La Nueva Raza, and individual
activists throughout the counrty. The website is run by la Adelita.

Lie #4 - We are on a quest to prove contamination.

The contamination has been proven by EPA, TCEQ, Shaw, and countless
Toxicologists and Scientists. You can go to mission-texas.com and click
on their links. The federal records were at the Mission Library and
have since oh so mysteriously been moved to McAllen. Tests and
geographic studies are still being conducted.

Thank you for the link, Missiontexas.net. Just remember that denial is
the first stage. Don't feel bad about it though, it is a perfectly
normal first reaction.

--
Posted by Adelita to la plática at 7/30/2005 11:24:00 AM