Fwd: Deadline to intervene: FRIDAY APRIL 17

Rita Yelda

Apr 15, 2015, 4:07:02 PM4/15/15
to nygcg---new-york-gas-coordination-group, citizens-against-fracking-, wnyea....@growwny.org, wnyea....@growwny.org, wnyea.p...@growwny.org, Sierra Club, dontfrackcha...@googlegroups.com

Northern Access Project 2016 - National Fuel & Empire Pipeline

The proposed project will include:
-New pipeline from Keating Township, McKean County, PA to Elma, Erie County, NY.
-Increased compression at compressor station already existing in Elma, NY.
-Pipelines replaced with wider pipeline in Wheatfield and Pendleton, Niagara County, NY.
-New compressor station and natural gas dehydration facility in Niagara County, NY.

Further natural gas infrastructure encourages destructive processes like fracking by increasing export capabilities and demand for natural gas.
By building more natural gas infrastructure, it invests us in decades more of fossil fuels, instead of allowing for growth in clean, renewable energy sources.
Natural gas infrastructure is also dangerous - with wide ranging impacts including fatal explosions, air pollution, noise pollution, and property damage.

Learn more about the dangers of pipelines and compressor stations:
http://documents.foodandwaterwatch.org/doc/NatGasPipelines.pdf
http://www.nofrackedgasinmass.org/more-than-a-pipeline/
http://un-naturalgas.org/pipeline%20text%20Dec%2009.pdf

-------------------DEADLINE APRIL 17 TO INTERVENE ON NORTHERN ACCESS 2016 --- SEE ATTACHMENTS-----------------------

From Ryan Talbott [rdta...@gmail.com] of Allegheny Defense Project in regards to the above mentioned "fracked" gas project.
Please follow up with him if you can file as an intervener by FRIDAY APRIL 17TH. You can live anywhere along the route!

I've attached National Fuel's application for the pipeline (called the "Northern Access 2016 Project").  I've also attached a map of the proposed route and FERC's "Notice of Application," which triggers the deadline intervention (April 17).

Anyone that wants to have standing to appeal FERC's decision and challenge it in court must file a motion to intervene.

Anyone impacted by the pipeline and/or compressor stations would be ideal [to intervene.]  There's basically two ways to say that you are impacted....either as a landowner or that the project will impact your recreational and aesthetic interests.  Allegheny Defense Project's basis for intervention is focused on the latter and that is what the majority of our comments will focus on.  Basically, the pipeline will drive future shale gas drilling in and around the Allegheny National Forest and other public lands in PA.  I think NY groups could say the same thing (although it would be limited to conventional gas drilling since shale gas drilling is banned).  And if any of the proposed pipeline construction will impact public lands or resources, you'd want to raise that as well.

It is also important to note that this project (Northern Access 2016) is connected to another project that FERC just approved (Northern Access 2015).  FERC is allowing National Fuel to segment these projects instead of considering them together in a single EIS.  Specifically, in the Northern Access 2015 Project, National Fuel will build a new compressor station in Hinsdale, NY.  The proposed pipeline in the Northern Access 2016 Project will "tie-in" to the Hinsdale compressor station.  In other words, National Fuel needs that compressor station built in the first project so that the pipeline can tie into it in the second project.  That means the two projects are clearly connected and really constitute a single large project.  But FERC is preparing two separate EAs rather than a single EIS.  So it would be good to have folks in the Hinsdale area intervene and oppose this project.

Attached is Allegheny Defense Project's motion to intervene, which I filed yesterday.  You can use this as a template.  Basically, you have to demonstrate that your intervention is in the public interest.  You must state who you are, what you do and why the project threatens what you seek to protect.  It doesn't have to be long at all.

I can walk you through the intervention process on FERC's website.  It is not intuitive the first time you do it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ryan

Motion to Intervene.docx
Application.pdf