Why are some values in "duration" column very high for NYC March 2019 data?

vsrivas

Jun 4, 2020, 9:55:54 AM6/4/20
to BikeNYC and CitiBikeNYC Hackers
Hi,

I am working with NYC bikedata for March 2019. While making histogram for 2019 ride duration, I found that some values are extremely high. Does anybody know why?
Thanks!

Salma Yousri

Jun 4, 2020, 10:20:24 AM6/4/20
to BikeNYC and CitiBikeNYC Hackers
Those bikes could be stolen or faulty. I would take trips up to two hours and indicate the others as outliers or omit them to get a sense of the trip distribution.

Stephen Hanrahan

Jun 4, 2020, 10:34:45 AM6/4/20
to citibike...@googlegroups.com
it’s from when bikes are not properly docked

On Jun 4, 2020, at 9:55 AM, vsrivas <vand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am working with NYC bikedata for March 2019. While making histogram for 2019 ride duration, I found that some values are extremely high. Does anybody know why?
Thanks!

vsrivas

Jun 4, 2020, 3:25:41 PM6/4/20
to BikeNYC and CitiBikeNYC Hackers
Thanks for your suggestion.

vsrivas

global psychedelics

Mar 28, 2024, 8:10:01 AMMar 28
to BikeNYC and CitiBikeNYC Hackers
Email: globalpsyche...@gmail.com
WHAT IS 4-ACO-DMT MICRODOSING?

4-Acetoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (psilacetin or 4-AcO-DMT) is a synthetic psychedelic tryptamine with close structural similarities to the “magic mushroom” molecules psilocybin and psilocin.

It was developed by the inventor of LSD Albert Hofmann, along with Franz Troxler, for Sandoz Ltd., the company that patented the drug in 1963 (incidentally the same year their LSD patents expired).

Of the many “grey market” research chemicals out there, 4-AcO-DMT is probably among the safest. At macrodoses, its effects are comparable – although in some ways rather different – to those of psilocybin or psilocin. Most users report a full range of psychedelic visual effects, from color enhancement to vivid hallucinations, along with euphoria, ego loss, and mystical or religious experiences.

And, as with psilocybin, microdoses have been linked to:

  • Increased empathy and sociability
  • Introspection
  • Mood enhancement
  • Visual clarity and color enhancement
  • Motivation and energy
  • Relaxation, peace, and contentedness
  • Mental clarity and focus
THE SCIENCE OF 4-ACO-DMT MICRODOSING

4-AcO-DMT is also known as O-Acetylpsilocin; that is, the O-acetylated form or ester of psilocin (4-HO-DMT) – psilocybin (4-PO-DMT) being the O-phosphorylated form. In other words, 4-AcO-DMT has the same basic structure as both psilocin and psilocybin, but with an acetoxy group bonded to its indole ring.

Like psilocybin, 4-AcO-DMT is considered a prodrug of psilocin, converting into the latter through metabolism by the body. Pharmacologist David Nichols even went so far as to advocate its replacement of psilocybin in psilocin research, since 4-AcO-DMT is by far the easier ester to synthesize.

The prodrug theory is not without its critics, however. According to some, the immediate psychoactivity of 4-AcO-DMT when injected or smoked (i.e. when bypassing the metabolism), as well as its higher average dose than psilocin, suggests the compound is uniquely psychoactive in its own right and not just, or even necessarily, as a metabolic precursor to psilocin.

There are subjective differences too. While some consider the effects of 4-AcO-DMT to be identical to those of psilocybin mushrooms, others point out differences. They may find it mellower, more forgiving, or less ego-disruptive than mushrooms, while some even liken it to DMT, especially at high doses.

Still, it’s important to note that naturally occurring levels of psilocybin and psilocin vary significantly even between mushrooms of the same species, so no two experiences are likely to be the same. They also tend to be accompanied by other alkaloids, such as baeocystin and norbaeocystin, which have presumed effects of their own. 4-AcO-DMT, meanwhile, has no such variability, so it ensures greater consistency for microdosing at least, even if its subjective effects are different from psilocybin mushrooms.

Given its chemical similarities to psilocin, though, we can safely assume that 4-AcO-DMT has roughly the same mechanism of action – primarily activating the 5-HT2A serotonin receptors.

Much of what we understand about how psychedelics work involves serotonin, a chemical that keeps our brains ticking. It is one of the most important neurotransmitters, affecting nearly everything we do – from how we feel to how we process information.

Indeed, much like other classical psychedelics (including LSD), psilocybin, psilocin, and 4-AcO-DMT actually share a similar molecular structure to serotonin. So while SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressants work to alleviate low mood by increasing serotonin levels in the brain, 4-AcO-DMT would be expected to work more directly by actually mimicking serotonin itself, and stimulating serotonin receptors.

The stimulation of the 5-HT2A receptor in particular has two very important results:

  • The production of “Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor” (BDNF). BDNF is “like Miracle-Gro for your brain. It stimulates growth, connections, and activity.”
  • The increased transmission of “Glutamate.” Glutamate is the neurotransmitter most responsible for brain functions like cognition, learning, and memory.

Glutamate and BDNF work together in ways we’re still investigating, but it has become clear that having more of each leads to many of the benefits we seek from microdosing.

Another thing the classical psychedelics are capable of doing is causing parts of the brain that wouldn’t usually communicate with one another… to communicate with one another!

Psychedelics facilitate these unique connections by dampening the activity of an often-overused part of our brain called the “Default Mode Network” (DMN). The DMN features in a range of mental activities, including daydreaming, self-reflection, and thinking about the past or future. And some studies suggest depression may be linked to an overactive DMN, possibly causing us to ruminate, over-analyze or criticize ourselves, and continually step out of the present moment to fret about the past or the future.

This helps to explain the remarkable efficacy of psilocin and related substances in the treatment of depression and anxiety, with some patients even reporting lasting (six months+) relief from a single high dose of psilocybin. It could also help to explain how the use of these substances can lead to creative insights and perspectives that otherwise remain inaccessible.

4-aco-dmt-microdosing

https://globalpsychedelicsonline.com/product/cap-up-magic-mushroom-chocolate-bars-4g/
https://globalpsychedelicsonline.com/product/psilonauts-psilocybin-chocolate-bar/
https://globalpsychedelicsonline.com/product/joe-rogan-mushroom-gummies/