Different CitiBike Models

harrison sylver

Jul 13, 2023, 6:07:48 PM7/13/23
to BikeNYC and CitiBikeNYC Hackers
Hey Everyone,

My name is Harrison Sylver, I am an undergrad at the University of Washington, Seattle, and doing a research project concerning public bike share programs. So far, I've covered Lime Bike up here in Seattle, but I'm expanding to NYC to gather more data. I am interested in finding data about CitiBike. If anyone can answer my below questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. What are the different types of bicycles that Citibike offers to riders?
2. What are the different top speeds of the different models of bicycles?
3. How many of each model are currently in their fleet?

So far, I've only found rough estimates pertaining to the answers to my questions or conflicting answers.

Please let me know if you have any information on the subject.

Harrison Sylver

Cristina L.

Jul 14, 2023, 9:32:05 AM7/14/23
to BikeNYC and CitiBikeNYC Hackers
Hi Harrison!
1. What are the different types of bicycles that Citibike offers to riders?
Currently, there are two bicycle types: 2 E-Bikes (Original blue, All White (next-gen model, newestl)) and 1 regular non-motorized model
2. What are the different top speeds of the different models of bicycles?
White E-Bike = 20MPH
Blue E-Bike = 18MPH
3. How many of each model are currently in their fleet?
In total, about 25k non-motorized bikes. About 5,000 e-bikes (as of 2022).

Brian Lee

Jul 14, 2023, 2:55:00 PM7/14/23
to BikeNYC and CitiBikeNYC Hackers
I believe the non-motorized model can be split a bit further. Chassis-wise, there is the original model that debuted when Citibike first started, and then the updated chassis. Newer bikes with the updated chassis have a continuous variable transmission gear shift, while older bikes with the updated chassis have a 3-speed Sturmey Archer C30 gear shift.
Message has been deleted