CIS/2 Shape Mapping File for Bentley Structural

jharrisghafari

Jun 29, 2010, 2:46:01 PM6/29/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
We have a CIS/2 export from SDS/2 7.152, and are trying to import it
into Bentley Structural V8i (08.11.05.38). At the import dialogue
window, we select the section mapping option, and no parts show up.
So we assume the built-in mapping file covers these. However, after
import we are missing 13,000+ pieces, which are primarily truss web
angles.

First off, does anyone know of a SDS/2 to Bentley mapping file?
Secondly, what other options could we use to get CIS/2 to DWG format?
We would really like to avoid IFC, if possible.

Thanks,

Jason

Jon Mirtschin

Jun 30, 2010, 12:44:50 AM6/30/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Hi Jason,

Whilst I can't advise you on a work flow or mapping file, I'm
interested in the reason behind your comment to avoid IFC and the
aspects/behaviour that lead to that statement? I've been developing
Rhino3d plug-ins for exchanging structural models (IFC and CIS/2,
although the IFC has progressed further, http://geometrygym.blogspot.com
).

The need to use mapping tables is one of the biggest concerns I have
for the use of the plug-ins, I really wish the industry could bite the
bullet and mandate uniform names. Of course, both IFC and CIS/2 can
carry section profile shapes (ie profile dimensions) within their
model exchange, but I'm assuming either that option is unavailable or
unacceptable for the exchange you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,

Jon

Jay Ernst

Jun 30, 2010, 2:37:51 PM6/30/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Jon,

I couldn't agree more.

Our biggest hurdle right now in making transfers to and from other
tools is that they are not using "standard" naming conventions for
shapes. Instead, they typically provide an option to directly "map"
from their names to another tools names. However, this runs contrary
to the idea of a data exchange standard independent of each
proprietary tool.

For example, RISA-3D CIS/2 translator imports & exports shapes using
their own naming convention. To get their translator to interpret the
AISC standard names, the end user is expected to define a "mapping
file" to do so. They do provide some pre-defined mapping files direct
translation to other tools, but again, this is not true independent
data exchange.

In fact, the industry (AISC - US at least) *has* a published "shapes
database" that contains all its standard names
(EDI_Std_Nomenclature). The applications just haven't been using it.
It should be the CIS/2 translator's job to translate proprietary names
to AISC standard names, not the end user's job.

On Jun 29, 11:44 pm, Jon Mirtschin <geometry...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Whilst I can't advise you on a work flow or mapping file, I'm
> interested in the reason behind your comment to avoid IFC and the
> aspects/behaviour that lead to that statement?  I've been developing
> Rhino3d plug-ins for exchanging structural models (IFC and CIS/2,
> although the IFC has progressed further,http://geometrygym.blogspot.com
> ).
>
> The need to use mapping tables is one of the biggest concerns I have
> for the use of the plug-ins, I really wish the industry could bite the
> bullet and mandate uniform names.  Of course, both IFC and CIS/2 can
> carry section profile shapes (ie profile dimensions) within their
> model exchange, but I'm assuming either that option is unavailable or
> unacceptable for the exchange you are trying to achieve.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon
>
> On Jun 29, 8:46 pm, jharrisghafari <jhar...@ghafari.com> wrote:
>

> > We have a CIS/2 export from SDS/2 7.152, and are trying to import it
> > into Bentley Structural V8i (08.11.05.38).  At the import dialogue
> > window, we select the section mapping option, and no parts show up.
> > So we assume the built-in mapping file covers these.  However, after
> > import we are missing 13,000+ pieces, which are primarily truss web
> > angles.
>
> > First off, does anyone know of a SDS/2 to Bentley mapping file?
> > Secondly, what other options could we use to get CIS/2 to DWG format?
> > We would really like to avoid IFC, if possible.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Jason- Hide quoted text -

SACHIN KHARAT

Jul 1, 2010, 1:04:10 PM7/1/10
to Jay Ernst, CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Dear All,

I strongly agree to Jay :). Names are standard everywhere in real life but not same in different software.That is a real problem.

Thanks,

Sachin Kharat

Michael

Aug 9, 2010, 11:29:56 AM8/9/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Without a mapping file, how could the translator know which equivalent
CISC section to use when interpreting an AISC section? AISC W44X335,
for example, seems to be roughly equivalent to CISC W1100x499. Is this
an acceptable substitute? I tend to think so, but ultimately, this
determination is the engineer's job.

Without mapping files, I do not see how data exchange can work if
there is a need to cross national boundaries.