major step towards real interoperability

Ivan jivkov

Jun 10, 2010, 1:09:27 PM6/10/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
I ran into this video on YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwuIw2feSek

It appears that someone wrote a homemade program to transfer the
manufacturing model one software to another. This, in my opinion, is
real interoperability! It empowers users to become more creative -
think out of the box - there should be no more limitations set by
software vendors which ultimately benefits the industry as a whole.

The classic debate of which software or which data interchange
standard is better is becoming irrelevant - people should be able to
use whatever works for them as long as they are building steel
structures.

What if BlackBerry users were restricted to communicate with iPhone
users and vice-versa? Does it make any sense? everyone needs to
communicate with everyone else!

Cheers!

Robert Lipman

Jun 10, 2010, 4:29:34 PM6/10/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
However, I'm guessing that the homemade program is dependent on
proprietary APIs to move information around and not on open
standards. Of course I'm pushing the open standards for
interoperability.

Mark

Jun 10, 2010, 6:44:41 PM6/10/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
This is an old debate. I move from steel contract to contract and P.O.
to P.O. and when the upstream supplier of my data has some kind of
home grown solution I get in my little car and drive down the road to
my software developer and ask them to work with and write a new
exchange portal. It costs money and time.
The basic idea of using a single standard is so we all speak the same
language.
To use another example take the cell phone you have. Unless you
selected well if you take the average US cell phone anywhere out of
this country it will not work because we did not standardize the way
cell phones work with the rest of the world.

Ivan jivkov

Jun 10, 2010, 7:45:17 PM6/10/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Mark, on a coulpe of positive notes, AT&T's phones work everywhere as
the rest of the world on the GSM network. The verizon phones are the
ones with the problem - they were using the Qualcomm technology. I
recently red in the news that verison is moving towards 3G on the GSM
network. Wonder why?

Going back to steel, people are developing translators in their
basements - there is clearly a need for a rich standard for
interoperability - those same people could be developing more
efficient ways to deliver steel projects instead of writing
proprietary translators