Steel section profile offset (cardinal point)

Robert Lipman

May 25, 2010, 12:58:09 PM5/25/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Hi,

I'd like to know how different software packages implement a cardinal
point (i.e. offset of the section profile) for aligning a section
with, for example, the top-of-steel.

The basic question is, is the offset associated with type of section
or the occurrence of a beam or column? How is it specified by the
user in the software?

If possible please include some screenshots. You can upload images in
the Files section.

Thanks,

---
Robert Lipman
http://cic.nist.gov/lipman/

Gennady

May 26, 2010, 10:49:51 AM5/26/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Robert,
CADWorx is using "insertion point" option to align sections. See
attached c-shape, l-shape, w-shape drawing dialogs screen shots.
So answering your question the offset is hardcoded by steel type.

Want to mention in this schema some insertion points do not have
corresponding cardinal points in terms of cis/2: #3,7 for l-shape,
#3,4,8,9 for w-shape, #3,10 for c-shape. In this case on cis/2 design
export I'm just using cardinal point #5 (mid-depth center).

Best regards,
Gennady

Robert Lipman

May 26, 2010, 12:46:57 PM5/26/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Gennady,

Actually, there are corresponding CIS/2 cardinal points for your
CADWorx insertion points. For example, your insertion points 3,4,8,9
for an I-shape correspond to CIS/2 cardinal points 27,29,31,33. If
you have current CIS/2 manuals, then the diagram on page 492 shows
them. Most likely, no applications have implemented them and even if
they were would be ignored by an importing application. SteelVis only
recognizes cardinal points 1-9.

Gennady

May 27, 2010, 10:57:33 AM5/27/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
Time to buy a real manual.
Robert, are you referencing to ISO 10303-Part 42: "Integrated generic
resource: Geometric and topological representation" document?
Thank you.

Robert Lipman

May 28, 2010, 11:28:29 AM5/28/10
to CIS/2 - CIMsteel Integration Standards
No. I'm referring to the CIS/2 manuals, volume 4. AISC has finally
worked out a deal to provide the manuals at a discount. Luke Faulkner
can provide details.