CEWG Meeting, Tomorrow, Wed April 28

Lara Ilao

Apr 27, 2021, 1:32:50 PM4/27/21
to Circular Economy Working Group DMV, Janine Finnell, Nivruti Sridhar, Linda Mansdorf
Dear Circular Economy Working Group,

Join us tomorrow evening, Wednesday April 28, 6pm - 8pm, for our CEWG meeting where we will talk about Food Waste. (Tomorrow also happens to be Stop Food Waste Day!) We will even receive a Zero-Waste cooking demonstration (recipe included below). Our two guest speakers are:

Anne-Marie Bonneau, Cookbook writer, blogger, fermenter and sourdough baker, and author of the newly released Zero Waste ChefAnne-Marie has lived plastic-free since 2011. She shows others how reducing their trash not only benefits the planet but also satisfies their taste buds, improves their well-being and boosts their bank accounts. A Canadian transplant, Anne-Marie lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her two daughters and her sourdough starter, Eleanor. Anne Marie will talk about food wastethe numbers, the causes, what we can do about it. She will then lead us through one of her zero-waste recipes! If you would like to follow along, or try the recipe later, it is listed below.

Rose Hartley, Sustainability Manager, Imperfect Foods, a nationwide e-commerce grocer reimagining grocery delivery for a kinder, less wasteful world. She will talk about her work and how Imperfect Foods is dedicated to eliminating food waste, building a better food system and partnering with like-minded organizations and communities to change the course of climate change. Rose has spent the majority of her career working in market-based and non-profit solutions to environmental and social crises, including in disaster relief, microfinance, and the high-performance built environment before joining Imperfect.

6:00PM - 6:05PM - Welcome and Introduction of Speakers
6:05PM - 6:30PM - Anne-Marie
6:30PM - 6:45PM - Rose Hartley
6:45PM - 7:00PM - Q&A
7:00PM - 8:00PM - Circular Economy Roadmap for the DMV Planning Meeting

After the presentations we will discuss the CEWG's newest project: to develop a Circular Economy Roadmap for the DMV. We encourage everyone to be part of this development process. Finally, I would like to introduce our new Vice Chair, Nivruti Sridhan! Nivruti has extensive experience in the energy and sustainable construction sectors and is currently pursuing her MBA at the University of Virginia's Darden School of Business and graduates next month.

Below is the zoom link for the event:

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87098917260?pwd=Vy9ML1Q5L09QTmpwSk4zbmNtUkIrQT09

Meeting ID: 870 9891 7260
Passcode: 389262

Also, here is the Recipe for Anne-Marie's Zero-Waste Dish:
Equipment
Knife
Cutting board
4-cup measuring cup
Measuring spoons
Large deep skillet
Large wooden spoon or other utensil for cooking

Ingredients
1/4 cup coconut, peanut or other oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated or minced ginger
2 cups random diced vegetables, such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli (florets or peeled stems)
4 cups leftover cooked white rice (see Note)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil (see Note)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 scallions (green and white parts), sliced, for garnish (see Note)
Salt

Notes
Leftover rice works best. You want it to have begun to dry out so it won’t lump together the way freshly cooked, fluffy rice would.
If you don’t have sesame oil, add a bit more of the oil you have on hand.

Happy cooking! We look forward to seeing you,

Lara Ilao (Chair) & Nivruti Sridhan (Vice Chair)

Janine Finnell

Apr 28, 2021, 11:47:45 AM4/28/21
to Lara Ilao, Circular Economy Working Group DMV, Nivruti Sridhar, Linda Mansdorf, Marty Silber
Dear Circular Economy Practitioners and Enthusiasts,

Today's entire Washington Post Food Section is featured on "Sustainability as a Key Ingredient" and features articles on not wasting food, composting, making your own cleaners, reducing plastic wrap, etc.

This is particularly timely as this is the topic that we will be learning more about from our two speakers in our Circular Economy Working Group meeting this evening at 6 pm including a zero waste chef and the Sustainability Manager of Imperfect Foods.  We will also be discussing our next steps for developing a DMV Circular Economy Roadmap.

See more info on the speakers and meeting agenda below in the forwarded message from Lara.

We look forward to seeing you!

Best,
Janine

Janine A. Finnell
Executive Director
Leaders in Energy (LE)

Leaders in Energy Research, Communications, Policies & Analysis (LERCPA) Linkedin group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4733995/
Skype: Janine.Finnell

Lara Ilao

Apr 28, 2021, 6:05:02 PM4/28/21
to Circular Economy Working Group DMV
Dear Circular Economy Working Group,

Just a reminder, we are meeting now for our CEWG Meeting.