Installing Circos using Homebrew

Shaun Jackman

Feb 20, 2014, 3:37:10 PM2/20/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com

I created a Homebrew formula to install Circos. Due to the trickiness of installing GD, it's not as simple as brew install circos, but hopefully we'll get there. Here's the instructions:

Install Homebrew on Mac OS or Linuxbrew on Linux.

Run the following commands to install GD and Circos.

brew tap homebrew/science
brew remove gd
brew install gd --with-freetype
brew install cpanminus
sudo chown "$USER":admin /Library/Perl/5.16 # on Mac OS
cpanm Config::General Font::TTF::Font Math::Bezier Math::VecStat Readonly Set::IntSpan Text::Format
cpanm --force GD::Polyline
brew install circos
brew test circos

Cheers,
Shaun

Martin Krzywinski

Feb 20, 2014, 5:07:24 PM2/20/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Shaun. A lot of people have trouble getting freetype into gd -- this should help.

Martin Krzywinski
science + art

Harry Osoff

Feb 20, 2014, 7:06:14 PM2/20/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Shaun,

What ever magic you know - it is strong.
Those simple steps solved my issue with getting circos to run the example.

Now I am of in search of something else to test

Thanks ever so much

Harry

Jon

Mar 28, 2014, 1:44:19 AM3/28/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
I'm following the steps above exactly and still getting an error for GD::Polyline. I recently did a clean installation of Mavericks so I wonder if that might be causing problems. All the other modules installed just fine, but when I type

brew install circos

I get this error:

circos: Unsatisfied dependency: GD::Polyline
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
  cpan -i GD::Polyline
Error: An unsatisfied requirement failed this build.

no matter, right? because I should just be able to type:

sudo cpanm --force GD::Polyline

But this isn't getting me anywhere.

--> Working on GD::Polyline

Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/L/LD/LDS/GD-2.52.tar.gz ... OK

Configuring GD-2.52 ... OK

Building and testing GD-2.52 ... FAIL

! Testing GD-2.52 failed but installing it anyway.

Successfully reinstalled GD-2.52

1 distribution installed

Jons-MacBook-Pro:~ Jon$ brew install circos

circos: Unsatisfied dependency: GD::Polyline

Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:

  cpan -i GD::Polyline

Error: An unsatisfied requirement failed this build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dhess

Apr 1, 2014, 10:42:52 AM4/1/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the Homebrew formula. Quick question. When I try to install gd --with-freetype I get the following error:

Error: You must `brew link libpng freetype' before gd can be installed

And when I try to brew link libpng freetype I get another error telling me that the target already exists. However when I try and overwrite it I get a permission denied response. How can I get around this?

Thanks,

Daisy

austin garner

Aug 9, 2014, 5:18:25 PM8/9/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
I am attempting this installation but when I go to run cpanm --force GD::Polyline, I get the following error:

ERROR: Can't create '/Users/austingarner/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.16.0/lib/site_perl/5.16.0/darwin-2level/auto/GD'mkdir /Users/austingarner/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.16.0/lib/site_perl/5.16.0/darwin-2level/auto/GD: Permission denied at /Users/austingarner/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.16.0/lib/5.16.0/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 494.

I am fairly green at this and am at a loss as to what to do, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
AG

Martin Krzywinski

Aug 21, 2014, 6:17:10 PM8/21/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
The error is produced by

mkdir /Users/austingarner/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.16.0/lib/site_perl/5.16.0/darwin-2level/auto/GD

It looks like you can't create this directory because you don't have permission to write to the directory above it.

Perhaps if the original installation was done as root, then the tree isn't owned by you.

Try running cpan with

sudo cpan ...

Martin Krzywinski
science + art

David Cook

Sep 12, 2014, 6:41:55 PM9/12/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com, jpb...@gmail.com
Did you ever figure this out, Jon? I seem to be having the same problem.

I've been having some troubles getting GD properly installed in order to run Circos. I think everything looks okay until I run ./test.modules after installation. I was originally trying to install everything using homebrew, but came across some troubles:

DPC@Love-Machine:~$ brew install circos
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: GD::Polyline
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
  cpan -i GD::Polyline
Error: An unsatisfied requirement failed this build.

DPC@Love-Machine:~$ cpan -i GD::Polyline
Reading '/Users/DPC/.cpan/Metadata'
  Database was generated on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 15:53:16 GMT
GD::Polyline is up to date (0.2).       #???

Download Circos manually and ran ./test.modules. As expected, problems with GD:

ok   Carp
ok   Clone
ok   Config::General
ok   Cwd
ok   Data::Dumper
ok   Digest::MD5
ok   File::Basename
ok   File::Spec::Functions
ok   File::Temp
ok   FindBin
ok   Font::TTF::Font
fail GD is not usable (it or a sub-module is missing)
fail GD::Image is not usable (it or a sub-module is missing)
ok   Getopt::Long
ok   IO::File
ok   List::MoreUtils
ok   List::Util
ok   Math::Round
ok   Math::VecStat
ok   Memoize
ok   POSIX
ok   Params::Validate
ok   Pod::Usage
ok   Readonly
ok   Regexp::Common
ok   Storable
ok   Sys::Hostname
ok   Text::Balanced
ok   Text::Format
ok   Time::HiRes

Tried to download and install GD and libs manually. After ./configure libgd:

** Configuration summary for libgd 2.1.0-rc2:

   Support for Zlib:                 yes
   Support for PNG library:          yes
   Support for JPEG library:         yes
   Support for VPX library:          no
   Support for TIFF library:         yes
   Support for Freetype 2.x library: yes
   Support for Fontconfig library:   yes
   Support for Xpm library:          no
   Support for pthreads:             yes

When running GD's Makefile.pl, I got a warning:

Checking for stray libgd header files...

** WARNING: found gd.h header file in /usr/local/includegd.h, but it is expected at /usr/local/Cellar/gd/2.1.0_2/include/gd.h. This may cause compile errors! **
** Possible problems found **

Included Features:          GD_TIFF GD_JPEG GD_FONTCONFIG GD_FREETYPE GD_PNG GD_GIF GD_GIFANIM GD_OPENPOLYGON
GD library used from:       /usr/local/Cellar/gd/2.1.0_2

I figured it was safe to remove the stray header file mentioned, so I did (note: also tried without removing the stray header).

During make, it had problems with some dylibs:

ld: warning: ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.dylibignoring file /usr/local/lib/libz.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/lib/libz.dylib

ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.dylib
ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/lib/libpng16.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/lib/libpng16.dylib
ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.dylib
ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/lib/libtiff.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/lib/libtiff.dylib
ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/local/lib/libgd.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /usr/local/lib/libgd.dylib

But it kept running. Did sudo make install to see if it would work anyway:

DPC@Love-Machine:/srctemp/GD-2.49$ sudo make install
Manifying blib/man1/bdf2gdfont.pl.1
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture dependent library tree
Installing /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/GD/GD.bundle
Installing /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level/GD.pm
Installing /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level/GD/Simple.pm
Installing /usr/local/share/man/man3/GD.3pm
Installing /usr/local/share/man/man3/GD::Polygon.3pm
Installing /usr/local/share/man/man3/GD::Polyline.3pm
Installing /usr/local/share/man/man3/GD::Simple.3pm
Appending installation info to /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level/perllocal.pod

Redid ./test.modules with no change:

fail GD is not usable (it or a sub-module is missing)
fail GD::Image is not usable (it or a sub-module is missing)

My (extremely) naive guess is that it's something to do with the "architecture being linked", but truly, I have no idea what this means or what I can do to fix it. If anyone has some insight, I would really appreciate the help!

David

Martin Krzywinski

Sep 29, 2014, 2:14:18 PM9/29/14
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
If you're using both homebrew and cpan it may be that you're writing the Perl modules into different directories.

If you run CPAN as non-root, the module will be typically written under your home directory, which by default is not where Perl looks for modules.

To guard against this, when you use CPAN pay careful attention to the scrolling output and look for the path where the module is installed. Then, look at the @INC path at the bottom of

perl -V

output to see where Perl will look for modules. It's best to run CPAN as root

> sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell

I'm also wary of the fact that you're seeing /usr/local/lib as a path in your errors rather than /usr/lib. Is it possible that you have several installations of libjpeg on your system? The stray header errors suggest that you have several installations of the libraries. Check with

locate libjpeg

These kinds of errors are hard to pin down. I would suggest that you try compiling all the requirements for libgd yourself in a fresh location. At each step, check that the compiler isn't trying to bring in files from elsewhere.

When installing GD for Perl, check the Makefile for those paths too.

Martin Krzywinski
science + art

Tim Dee

Mar 5, 2015, 5:54:54 PM3/5/15
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Just tried following the instrictions on this page on OS X and got the following error message - anyone know how to proceed? I'm not a programmer so all this is totally new to me. Seems bizarre that the installation for Circos is such a nightmare. Thanks so much!
Tim

Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i Config::General
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: Font::TTF::Font
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i Font::TTF::Font
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: GD::Polyline
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i GD::Polyline
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: Math::Bezier
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i Math::Bezier
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: Math::VecStat
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i Math::VecStat
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: Readonly
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i Readonly
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: Set::IntSpan
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i Set::IntSpan
circos: Unsatisfied dependency: Text::Format
Homebrew does not provide Perl dependencies; install with:
cpan -i Text::Format
Error: Unsatisified requirements failed this build.

Paulo Nuin

Mar 5, 2015, 6:01:05 PM3/5/15
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
It just means that most Circos dependencies are not installed with homebrew. Just run each one of the commands

cpan -i

and install the Perl dependencies. Usually Circos installation with home-brew should cover the libraries.

Cheers
Paulo

Lifang He

Jul 9, 2016, 3:43:49 PM7/9/16
to Circos
Hi,

When I try to install cairo by "brew install cairo", I also get such an error:

You must `brew link libpng freetype' before cairo can be installed

Could you please tell me how to solve this problem? any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

在 2014年4月1日星期二 UTC-5上午9:42:52,dhess写道:

Vikram

Aug 18, 2016, 5:11:49 AM8/18/16
to Circos
I just tried using Shaun's Homebrew formula after getting stuck trying to install GD. i am copy-pasting what happened after i tried to use circos on the example file. Please note that i am on a Mac computer running on OS 10.11.6 El Capitan. And i have not disabled  the 'rootless' feature of El Capitan.
----

Vikrams-MBP:example k$ ./run

Creating image circos.png and writing report to run.out.

Example takes ~45-60 seconds to generate.

Vikrams-MBP:example k$ ls

README circos.svg etc run.out

circos.png data run

Vikrams-MBP:example k$ pwd

/Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/example

Vikrams-MBP:example k$ /Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/bin/circos -conf etc/circos.conf

*** REQUIRED MODULE(S) MISSING OR OUT-OF-DATE ***

You are missing one or more Perl modules, require newer versions, or some modules failed to load. Use CPAN to install it as described in this tutorial

http://www.circos.ca/documentation/tutorials/configuration/perl_and_modules

missing GD

  error Can't locate GD.pm in @INC (you may need to install the GD module) (@INC contains: /Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/bin/lib /Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/bin/../lib /Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/bin /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at (eval 29) line 1.

missing GD::Polyline

  error Can't locate GD/Polyline.pm in @INC (you may need to install the GD::Polyline module) (@INC contains: /Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/bin/lib /Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/bin/../lib /Users/k/Desktop/downloads/circos-0.69/bin /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at (eval 30) line 1.

Vikrams-MBP:example k$

----

One more point: when i type these commands:

Vikrams-MBP:etc k$ cd

Vikrams-MBP:~ k$ vi .bash_profile

now, in the .bash_profile file i see this:

# Setting PATH for Python 2.7

# The original version is saved in .bash_profile.pysave

PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:${PATH}"

export PATH

what do i need to add to the file .bash_profile (to enable me to run circos  from any directory)? can i add the file named 'circos'  (in the bin folder) to my Applications on my Mac?

Jim Guo

Oct 19, 2016, 6:50:26 PM10/19/16
to Circos
Hi Shaun,

Thanks, you are my hero! I used your approach successfully installed circos on my server (OS version: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.13.0-98-generic x86_64)). Below I share the commands with slight modifications of Shaun's original post for Linux users.

export PATH="$HOME/.linuxbrew/bin:$PATH"
export MANPATH="$HOME/.linuxbrew/share/man:$MANPATH"
export INFOPATH="$HOME/.linuxbrew/share/info:$INFOPATH"
brew tap linuxbrew/science
brew install gd --with-freetype
brew install cpanminus
sudo chown "$USER":admin /usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2
# Note: depending on what modules are pre-installed with your perl pacakage, the following modules might differ among different users.
sudo cpanm Config::General Font::TTF::Font Math::Bezier Math::VecStat Readonly Set::IntSpan Text::Format Params::Validate Math::Round Regexp::Common Clone
sudo cpanm --force GD::Polyline
brew install circos
brew test circos
## If brew test circos failed, it might indicate that some modules are missed. run "circos -modules", use sudo cpanm to install missed packages and re-test.

Eric Stemn

May 2, 2017, 3:31:14 PM5/2/17
to Circos
Thanks Shaun, you make the installation looked easier. I have been struggling for the past weeks to get around this but nothing seemed working till I came across your post. You are a genius!, you know that......

Can I get help on how to generating the circos example image. I am finding it difficult to locate the circos/example directory. I am a novice to command line.

Eric

Martin Krzywinski

May 2, 2017, 4:38:56 PM5/2/17
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
To generate the example image,

> cd /path/to/circos-v0.xx
> cd example
> ../bin/circos

Martin Krzywinski
science + art

Kennith

Dec 4, 2017, 6:25:21 PM12/4/17
to Circos
When I followed the installation procedure above, the following error(s) arose during the "brew test circos" step:

VPN-18-101-8-109:Applications $ brew test circos

Testing homebrew/science/circos

==> /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.67-7/bin/circos -conf /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.

Last 15 lines from /Users/-/Library/Logs/Homebrew/circos/test.01.circos:

2017-12-04 18:13:44 -0500

/usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.67-7/bin/circos

-conf

/usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.67-7/libexec/example/etc/circos.conf

-debug_group

summary,timer

Error: homebrew/science/circos: failed

Failed executing: /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.67-7/bin/circos -conf /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.67-7/libexec/example/etc/circos.conf -debug_group summary,timer

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:1796:in `block in system'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:1734:in `open'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:1734:in `system'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-science/circos.rb:87:in `block in <class:Circos>'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:1640:in `block (3 levels) in run_test'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/utils.rb:554:in `with_env'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:1639:in `block (2 levels) in run_test'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:834:in `with_logging'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:1638:in `block in run_test'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/extend/fileutils.rb:14:in `block in mktemp'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/extend/fileutils.rb:74:in `block in run'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/extend/fileutils.rb:74:in `chdir'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/extend/fileutils.rb:74:in `run'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/extend/fileutils.rb:13:in `mktemp'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/formula.rb:1632:in `run_test'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/test.rb:28:in `block in <main>'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/vendor/portable-ruby/2.3.3/lib/ruby/2.3.0/timeout.rb:91:in `block in timeout'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/vendor/portable-ruby/2.3.3/lib/ruby/2.3.0/timeout.rb:33:in `block in catch'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/vendor/portable-ruby/2.3.3/lib/ruby/2.3.0/timeout.rb:33:in `catch'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/vendor/portable-ruby/2.3.3/lib/ruby/2.3.0/timeout.rb:33:in `catch'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/vendor/portable-ruby/2.3.3/lib/ruby/2.3.0/timeout.rb:106:in `timeout'

/usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Homebrew/test.rb:27:in `<main>'

Do you have any recommendations on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Kendall

hqu...@ucr.edu

Jan 10, 2018, 2:34:10 AM1/10/18
to Circos
Hi Shaun,

I tried your method but cannot "brew" freetype with gd.

It showed:"Warning: gd: this formula has no --with-freetype option so it will be ignored!" Could you please help me out?
Thank you in advance!

Han

uf...@us.ibm.com

Jan 25, 2018, 3:40:14 PM1/25/18
to Circos
The previous steps seemed to have worked, but still getting the error:

No available formula with the name "circos"

When I try brew install circos.  Any suggestions?

Paulo Nuin

Jan 25, 2018, 3:42:08 PM1/25/18
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Circos shouldn’t be in homebrew/science anymore, it was merged in the main tap/core. Apart from this change the other steps should be identical.

Paulo

Shaun Jackman

Mar 8, 2018, 10:58:37 PM3/8/18
to Circos
To install Circos using Homebrew or Linuxbrew, run…

brew install brewsci/bio/circos

Cheers,
Shaun

crlc06

Apr 10, 2018, 3:14:39 PM4/10/18
to Circos
I am very sorry, I realize this may not be the place for this, but I have been trying for hours to get Circos to work on Mac 10.13.4

Can you please give clear and concise instructions on how to install circos and make it work properly.

I have tried with circos 0.69 and 0.69-6.

After muddling through all of the issues and finally running this command, it works....but actually nothing works, I cannot use the program. It is there, and it says it is already installed, but I cannot access it, so please tell me what I am doing wrong :-(

Best regards!

as1...@nyu.edu

May 21, 2018, 12:32:17 PM5/21/18
to Circos
Hi, im having trouble installing Circos..

I'm following these command lines from the Circos website (http://www.circos.ca/documentation/tutorials/configuration/installation/)

brew tap homebrew/science
brew remove gd
brew install gd --with-freetype
brew install cpanminus
sudo chown "$USER":admin /Library/Perl/5.16 # on Mac OS
cpanm Config::General Font::TTF::Font Math::Bezier Math::VecStat Readonly Set::IntSpan Text::Format
cpanm --force GD::Polyline
brew install circos
brew test circos

I'm having trouble with these steps:
sudo chown "$USER":admin /Library/Perl/5.16

Cannot find path
I put my username instead of "USER" and I put the path to the perl5 module installed on my computer but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.
This is what I type in terminal: sudo chown "$myusername":admin myusername/perl5

cpanm --force GD::Polyline
#BELOW IS THE ERROR I GET FROM RUNNING THE ABOVE COMMAND

--> Working on GD::Polyline
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/R/RU/RURBAN/GD-2.68.tar.gz ... OK
==> Found dependencies: ExtUtils::PkgConfig
--> Working on ExtUtils::PkgConfig
Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/X/XA/XAOC/ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.16.tar.gz ... OK
Configuring ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.16 ... N/A
! Configure failed for ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.16. See /Users/as11798/.cpanm/work/1526901628.13976/build.log for details.
! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'ExtUtils::PkgConfig' is not installed
! Bailing out the installation for GD-2.68.

Any tips, links or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

Shaun Jackman

May 22, 2018, 1:02:06 AM5/22/18
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Installing Circos with Homebrew should be much easier now. Try…

brew tap brewsci/bio
brew install circos

Cheers,
Shaun

Ahmed Shibl

May 22, 2018, 4:48:13 AM5/22/18
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I feel like I made progress but still isn't able to run it...

I go into the /usr/local/Cellar directory and when I 'ls' it I get these:
circos        fontconfig    gd        libpng        webp
cpanminus    freetype    jpeg        libtiff

I then try to run circos but I get this error:

*** REQUIRED MODULE(S) MISSING OR OUT-OF-DATE ***

You are missing one or more Perl modules, require newer versions, or some modules failed to load. Use CPAN to install it as described in this tutorial

http://www.circos.ca/documentation/tutorials/configuration/perl_and_modules

missing GD
  error Can't load '/usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6/libexec/lib/perl5/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/GD/GD.bundle' for module GD: dlopen(/usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6/libexec/lib/perl5/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/GD/GD.bundle, 1): Library not loaded: @@HOMEBREW_PREFIX@@/opt/libpng/lib/libpng16.16.dylib  Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6/libexec/lib/perl5/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/GD/GD.bundle  Reason: unsafe use of relative rpath @@HOMEBREW_PREFIX@@/opt/libpng/lib/libpng16.16.dylib in /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6/libexec/lib/perl5/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/GD/GD.bundle with restricted binary at /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/DynaLoader.pm line 194. at (eval 29) line 1.Compilation failed in require at (eval 29) line 1.
missing GD::Polyline
  error Attempt to reload GD.pm aborted.Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6/libexec/lib/perl5/darwin-thread-multi-2level/GD/Polyline.pm line 45.

Ahmed Shibl

May 22, 2018, 4:54:50 AM5/22/18
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
In addition, when I run brew test circos, this is what I get:

Testing brewsci/bio/circos
==> /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6/bin/circos -conf /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6/libexec/example/etc/circos.con
Error: brewsci/bio/circos: failed
<#<Pathname:/tmp/circos-test-20180522-60086-epnuf8/circos.png>>.exist? is true value expected but was<false>

Shaun Jackman

May 22, 2018, 12:59:20 PM5/22/18
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
I've fixed the issue just now with this commit:

Try…
brew update
brew reinstall circos

Cheers,
Shaun
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to circos-data-visual...@googlegroups.com.

Carolina Barrón

Feb 12, 2019, 1:57:24 PM2/12/19
to Circos
Thank you! This totally works for me on MacOS!

abhay

Feb 13, 2019, 6:45:00 PM2/13/19
to Circos

Thanks Shaun, Martin and others

unable to work

error are as follows

Stack trace:

 at /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6_1/libexec/bin/../lib/Circos/Error.pm line 425.

Circos::Error::fatal_error('configuration', 'missing') called at /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6_1/libexec/bin/../lib/Circos.pm line 146

Circos::run('Circos', '_cwd', '/usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6_1/bin', '_argv', '') called at /usr/local/Cellar/circos/0.69-6_1/libexec/bin/circos line 536

kindly help

Abhay
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to circos-data-visualization+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/circos-data-visualization.

Golrokh Kiani

Feb 20, 2019, 5:55:53 PM2/20/19
to Circos
It is now brewsci/bio
brew tap brewsci/bio

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 3:37:10 PM UTC-5, Shaun Jackman wrote:

I created a Homebrew formula to install Circos. Due to the trickiness of installing GD, it's not as simple as brew install circos, but hopefully we'll get there. Here's the instructions:

Install Homebrew on Mac OS or Linuxbrew on Linux.

Run the following commands to install GD and Circos.

brew tap homebrew/science
brew remove gd
brew install gd --with-freetype
brew install cpanminus
sudo chown "$USER":admin /Library/Perl/5.16 # on Mac OS
cpanm Config::General Font::TTF::Font Math::Bezier Math::VecStat Readonly Set::IntSpan Text::Format
cpanm --force GD::Polyline
brew install circos
brew test circos

Cheers,
Shaun

Alicia Talavera

Mar 17, 2021, 3:31:10 PM3/17/21
to Circos
Hello circos group,

I am trying to install circos on my computer (macOS Catalina v. 10.15.7), but I am getting several problems. If I execute:

brew tap homebrew/science
Error: homebrew/science was deprecated. This tap is now empty and all its contents were either deleted or migrated.
 brew remove gd
Error: No available formula or cask with the name "gd".
 brew install gd --with-freetype
I get several errors. I tried different options showed in the group and tutorials, but I am stuck. Could you please help me?

Thank you,

Shaun Jackman

Mar 17, 2021, 8:18:07 PM3/17/21
to Circos
Try…
brew install brewsci/bio/circos

Cheers,
Shaun

Alicia Talavera

Mar 18, 2021, 4:23:22 PM3/18/21
to circos-data-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Shaun,

Thank you for your email. In my case, It works after run: git -C $(brew --repository homebrew/core) checkout master.

Thank you,

Best wishes,

Alicia

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Circos" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/circos-data-visualization/f0d68219-e6db-4f3f-bb54-f8e3b7b4d0b5%40Spark.

--
Alicia Talavera Júdez, Ph.D.
Department of Subtropical and mediterranean fruit crops.

Find me on:

Message has been deleted

Beatrice Zita Passerini

Apr 8, 2024, 1:56:02 PMApr 8
to Circos

Hello everyone,

I am new to Circos and I am trying to install it on my Mac OS Ventura v 13.6.3. I am currently working with Perl v 5.38.2.

I have followed both these guides to install Circos:

  1. https://circos.ca/documentation/tutorials/configuration/installation/
  2. https://kylase.github.io/CircosAPI/os-x-installation-guide/

I have run these commands:

  • brew tap brewsci/science
  • brew remove gd
  • brew install gd   ### instead of ‘brew install gd --with-freetype’ because it wasn’t working
  • brew install cpanminus
  • sudo chown "$USER":admin /Library/Perl/5.16     ### it didn’t work and gave me this error —> chown: /Library/Perl/5.16: No such file or directory
  •  cpanm Config::General Font::TTF::Font Math::Bezier Math::VecStat Readonly Set::IntSpan Text::Format
  •  cpanm --force GD::Polyline ### This also didn’t work
  •  brew install circos
  •  brew test circos

    I ran 'circos -modules'  and the GD and GD::Polyline are missing

    circos -modules

    ok       1.50 Carp

    ok       0.45 Clone

    ok       2.65 Config::General

    ok       3.78 Cwd

    ok      2.174 Data::Dumper

    ok       2.55 Digest::MD5

    ok       2.85 File::Basename

    ok       3.78 File::Spec::Functions

    ok     0.2309 File::Temp

    ok       1.51 FindBin

    ok       0.39 Font::TTF::Font

    missing            GD

    missing            GD::Polyline

    ok        2.5 Getopt::Long

    ok       1.40 IO::File

    ok      0.428 List::MoreUtils

    ok        1.5 List::Util

    ok       0.01 Math::Bezier

    ok   1.999816 Math::BigFloat

    ok       0.07 Math::Round

    ok       0.08 Math::VecStat

    ok    1.03_01 Memoize

    ok       1.88 POSIX

    ok       1.29 Params::Validate

    ok       1.69 Pod::Usage

    ok       2.05 Readonly

    ok 2017060201 Regexp::Common

    ok       2.87 SVG

    ok       1.19 Set::IntSpan

    ok     1.6611 Statistics::Basic

    ok       3.15 Storable

    ok       1.22 Sys::Hostname

    ok       2.03 Text::Balanced

    ok       0.62 Text::Format

    ok      1.976 Time::HiRes

    Trying to install them I end up with this message:

    Building and testing ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.16 ... FAIL

    ! Installing ExtUtils::PkgConfig failed. See /Users/beazita/.cpanm/work/1712564244.48608/build.log for details. Retry with --force to force install it.

    ! Installing the dependencies failed: Module 'ExtUtils::PkgConfig' is not installed

    ! Bailing out the installation for GD-2.78.

    I have tried to run:

    • perl -MCPAN -e shell
    • cpan[1]> install ExtUtils::PkgConfig

    And

    • cpanm --force ExtUtils::PkgConfig

    To see if I could solve the problem but it also return

    --> Working on ExtUtils::PkgConfig

    Fetching http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/X/XA/XAOC/ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.16.tar.gz ... OK

    Configuring ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.16 ... OK

    Building and testing ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.16 ... FAIL

    ! Installing ExtUtils::PkgConfig failed. See /Users/beazita/.cpanm/work/1712564610.51061/build.log for details. Retry with --force to force install it.

    I don’t know how to solve this problem. Has anyone had these kind of problems?

    Any tips, links or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

    P.S: I don’t know if this is important, but I have download GD-2.50, because I cannot decompress  GD-2.78 using the command in the tutorial (2)