Option to disable subscript for circos lables?

Tina Segessemann

Dec 20, 2023, 4:43:48 PM12/20/23
to Circos
Dear circos community

Most contig names for bacterial genomes contain an underscore, e.g NZ_CP066370.1.
These look fine in the .png plot, but are interpreted as subscript for the .svg plot.

We have a workflow where we need both the .png and the .svg output.

The only workaround I could think of is to replace the underscore with a double underscore and change the following in housekeeping.conf

# super/sub script baseline shift (%)
sup_baseline_shift = 0 sub_baseline_shift = 0
# super/sub script font size (%)
sup_fontsize = 100
sub_fontsize = 100

Changing the underscore is done by " label_format = eval( replace(var(label),"_","__") ))

This will display as a normal single underscore, but of course only in the .svg file, not in the .png file

Since the circos plot is part of an automated workflow, I would like to find a "cleaner" solution, preferably one where I don't have to use two seperate conf files for .png and .svg output. I'd rather not rename the contig labels to something wihtout an underscore.

is there a way to disable the subscript completely? or to apply different rules for .png and .svg output in the .conf files?

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, Tina