Re: [cinnamon-weather] Linux Mint 17.1

TM

Dec 1, 2014, 5:40:04 PM12/1/14
to cinnamon...@googlegroups.com
The applet polls Yahoo's weather api. You can call it directly here:

https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/

with a query like:

select units,atmosphere from weather.forecast where woeid in (select
woeid from geo.places(1) where text="new york, ny")

(discussion continues below)

On 11/30/2014 11:31 PM, Mike Bott wrote:
> Current NWS is 30.03 in.

Yahoo's data won't necessarily match other services.

> Changing the WOEID does not change the indicated pressure.

My location's pressure is currently correct (compare: weather.gov,
wunderground.com), and different from USNY0996.

Can you provide specific steps to reproduce the problem? Which WOEIDs
display incorrectly?

TM

Dec 2, 2014, 3:12:27 AM12/2/14
to cinnamon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure why your question isn't showing up on the web interface.

I've replied here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cinnamon-weather/nbSc0mdTC0s

On 11/30/2014 11:31 PM, Mike ****** wrote:> Just installed Linux Mint
17.1 on a desktop and added this app to the
> panel. Seems to work well except for Pressure as it shows a constant 61
> in HG. Current NWS is 30.03 in. Changing the WOEID does not change the
> indicated pressure.
>
> --
> Mike

Mike Bott

Dec 2, 2014, 6:34:08 AM12/2/14
to cinnamon...@googlegroups.com
Greetings TM,

I'm pretty sure that the "why" is that I deleted the question shortly after posting because I read the following in the release announcement:

Version 1.10.1 is now available.

## New features

Atmospheric pressure unit selection.  Thanks vesnn.

#### Known bugs

Pressure data provided by the Yahoo Weather API is based on the
selected temperature unit, and does not convert consistently.

The discrepancy is roughly 2X (note 1 psi ~= 69 mbar).

I'm seeing a difference of about 2X still.  With the app open I can click one the location name and it brings up the Yahoo! weather page for my location (US zip code 43082). Yahoo! reports a barometric pressure of 30.42 in.  The app is currently indicating 62 in HG.  I *assumed* this is the known bug / discrepancy talked about above.

--
Mike

TM

Dec 2, 2014, 7:25:51 AM12/2/14
to cinnamon...@googlegroups.com
I see.  What Yahoo calls the "inches" unit is psi.  The 30.42 psi <-> 61.936" Hg conversion is correct.  (Note 1 psi ~= 51.715 mm Hg ~= 2.036" Hg.  By coincidence, I think, this factor of 2 is different from the one I had in mind.)

http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm

The discrepancy I meant to point out is that when you choose Celsius, Yahoo returns pressure in millibar, for Farenheit, psi; scaling the one value to change units does not agree with the other.

Compare the (url-encoded) queries `select units,atmosphere from weather.forecast where location="43082" and u="f"` (respectively, `and u="c"`).

TM

Dec 2, 2014, 7:31:37 AM12/2/14
to cinnamon...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'm wrong about that.  I see 30.4" Hg is 1030.3 mbar.  I'll have to look into it.

TM

Dec 2, 2014, 7:35:47 AM12/2/14
to cinnamon...@googlegroups.com
I think it's just an incorrect assumption in the code.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.  I'll get it fixed.

Mike Bott

Dec 2, 2014, 7:40:32 AM12/2/14
to cinnamon...@googlegroups.com
Glad to be of some assistance.