How to Find a Python Mentor?

Tony Hall

Apr 25, 2022, 3:40:49 PM4/25/22
to CincyPy
Hello,

I finished a python bootcamp roughly 2 years ago, but my wife and I had two boys since. Needless to say, I haven't had as much time to keep up with it.

Well, I want to jump back into it and hit a wall of my understanding.

I don't know anyone in Cincinnati that is fluent in Python since I moved back from the West Coast.

Is there anyone willing to answer some questions I can't figure out or even mentor?

Thanks,

Tony Hall

Ricky Renner

Jun 7, 2022, 10:30:27 AM6/7/22
to CincyPy
Great question on this, Tony. I would also be curious how this community finds expert Python mentors to help train people.

I have a decent amount of Python experience if you ever have questions, but I'm more of an intermediate Python user I would say.

-Ricky

Tom Willis

Jun 7, 2022, 10:36:55 AM6/7/22
to cin...@googlegroups.com
10+ year python web dev here, ask away.

Also, the /r/python and /r/learnpython on reddit are great resources for those new to python.

Chris Ridenour

Jun 7, 2022, 11:32:35 AM6/7/22
to cin...@googlegroups.com
There’s a #python channel on the Cincy Tech slack that is active enough when you have a question as well.

Jerry Felix

Jun 7, 2022, 12:32:18 PM6/7/22
to cin...@googlegroups.com
Also willing to help, although I am less in Cincinnati and more on Siesta Key these days.  Since retirement, I've been spending a lot of time catching up on the latest Python developments and writing Python code for fun and hobby.

Not sure how I missed the Python 3.7 dataclasses enhancement, but I love that.  The other day I was writing a class, with the usual __init__ definition, where you set self.parameter1 = parameter1, and self.parameter2=parameter2, etc.  I thought "there HAS to be a simpler way", and discovered dataclasses, which simplifies the task tremendously.  Check it out if you haven't already.  https://realpython.com/python-data-classes/

Any other cool tricks that I should read up on?

I'm curious what editors y'all are using.

Great to see some familiar names from a decade ago - I forgot all about this mailing list.