Dickcissel Dial (815) 200-8650 Transcript 12-15-2022

Jarod Hitchings

Dec 15, 2022, 4:34:17 PM12/15/22
to ci...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the Dickcissel Dial the central Illinois birding hotline for notable or rare birds. Today is Thursday, December 15, 2022. Black-bellied Whistling Duck at Miller Park and Surf Scoters with the Long-tailed Duck at Downs Ponds all in Bloomington. Sandhill Cranes were flying over the campus of Heartland College. Trumpeter & Tundra Swans throughout the region and that American White Pelican in Decatur. Another Black-legged Kittiwake sighting this time between Iowa and Illinois at Lock & Dam 14 in Rock Island County. Townsend's Solitaire at Rock Cut State Park and Yellow-crowned Night Heron at Pecatonica Wetlands both in Winnebago County. Glossy Ibis at Emiquon Preserve Visitor Center. Sedge Wren at Prairie Ridge State Natural Area in Jasper County.

One of our most loyal callers was correct with Shrikes known as Butcher Birds. This week's question: which bird is known as an Ouzel? Rember the Dark-eyed Junco's call note is "smack" we have the slate-colored variant here in Central Illinois so take note if one is to see the two-toned appearing Oregon subspecies.

We will be posting highlights from tomorrow's Lake Sangchris Christmas Bird Count. Please leave answers or sightings after the message and enjoy the outdoors!

The Hitchings Family
Williamsville, Illinois