The Dickcissel Dial (815) 200-8650 Transcript for 11th of August, 2022

Jarod Hitchings

Aug 11, 2022, 8:41:09 PM8/11/22
to ci...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the Dickcissel Dial the central Illinois birding hotline sponsored by Wild Birds Unlimited in Springfield. Today is Thursday, August 11th, 2022. A limpkin is being photographed as we speak in Mason county along the flooded west side ditch at Saganois. American Avocet at the Beach House along Lake Springfield. The black-necked stilt is still at the Swigert road mudflat. Mississippi kite near the Hickory Point campground at Lake Sangchris. Sabine's gull in Marshall county. Swallow-tailed kite in Knox county south of Lake Bracken. Stilt sandpiper at Lake Bloomington.

Tiffany won last week's trivia with tufted titmouse being seen gleening ticks from deer. Now for this week's trivia question: what shorebird was once referred to as "dough bird"? Remember the great crested flycatcher says "creep, creep". These birds are known to nest in man-made birdhouses. We want to take a moment to thank all the listeners and let you know how we collate these sightings. We comb through ebird reports, utilize birding "group me" conversations on local birds, and read over email listserv typically after bird walks. Please feel free to reach out with your own observations and we will add them to our weekly report. Leave answers & sightings after the message and enjoy the outdoors!

The Hitchings Family
Sherman, Illinois