Mystery Fungus!

Colin Le Bachelet

Nov 29, 2013, 1:41:13 PM11/29/13
to cien...@googlegroups.com
Hi can anyone help identify this for my wife, and whether it’s edible? Found in a grass verge under a pine tree, doesn’t weep when cut, if that helps!

Also any sites for identifying local fungus ( or even on here)?

Many thanks

Sarnian

photo 3.jpg

Anne Haden

Dec 1, 2013, 2:06:47 PM12/1/13
to cien...@googlegroups.com
I would guess that it is a type of Amanita, some are very poisonous.  It is tricky to identify a fungus from just a photo, to be really sure it is often necessary to look at the spores under a microscope.  The book  " Mushrooms"  by Roger Phillips is really useful.

Sorry not to be more helpful,
Anne

Dec 1, 2013, 5:26:38 PM12/1/13
to cien...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Anne, don’t worry, we had already heard the same opinion in the meantime, and of course wouldn’t eat anything unless we were really sure. In fact, my wife usually takes anything she’s not sure of to Burnt Lane, who are really helpful.

Thanks also for the book recommendation – we will check that out.

Kind Regards

Colin

McCutcheon, Andrew

Jan 14, 2014, 4:44:13 AM1/14/14
to cien...@googlegroups.com

You could also try this: http://www.mycokey.com/ use the quick search facility.  It does tend to give a lot of options and is a bit “European” but the more accurate your input data the better the chance of a good ident.

Regards

Andy

Andy McCutcheon
Principal  Environment Services Officer
Environment Services Unit

Environment
A States of Guernsey Government Department
'   (01481) 717200 Ext: 2390
'   Direct:  (01481) 717390
'   Mob:     (07781) 110180

Make Your Contribution to Your Community

logo2-13.jpg

For more information: friendsof...@cwgsy.net

This e-mail (including attachments) may contain sensitive and/or privileged information.  If received in error, its use by you is not authorised and may be unlawful. Please notify the sender and delete all copies immediately.  E-mails may be subject to error, interference and virus and no liability is accepted for loss or damage however it arises and whether direct or indirect.  Service of legal proceedings by e-mail may not be accepted.

E-mails may be monitored for compliance purposes. All documents are subject to copyright.

image001.png
image002.png