Fwd: Threatened closure of UMBS Millport

Richard Lord

Jan 14, 2013, 10:22:04 AM1/14/13
to CIen...@googlegroups.com
FYI

Begin forwarded message:

From: Philip Smith <philip...@millport.gla.ac.uk>
Date: 14 January 2013 14:02:37 GMT
Subject: [CRUST-L:6378] Threatened closure of UMBS Millport

Dear all,

The University Marine Biological Station Millport is an institute of the University of London that hosts field course and research activities from universities, colleges and schools throughout the United Kingdom and beyond. Owing to the withdrawal of core funding by the Higher Education Funding Council for England, the University of London has provisionally decided to close the Marine Station, probably within 12 months. This decision is to be considered at a meeting of the University's governing body later this month.

The combination of facilities, location and proximity to field sites is rare if not unique, and we think makes UMBSM an important part of the UK's educational capability in marine science. We are doing what we can to avoid closure, but the prospects do not look good. If you are able to offer support in any way, we would be very grateful.

Prof. Mark Blaxter of Edinburgh University has written to the Scotsman and the Herald about the use of the Station by Scottish universities and he has been interviewed on BBC Radio Scotland:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/letters/station-essential-1-2727622
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/academics-fight-to-save-centre.19875694
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-20960173

He has also set up an online petition to the First Minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond:
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-scottish-government-save-the-university-marine-biology-station-millport-from-closure-2

The local community of the Isle of Cumbrae have set up a Facebook campaign:
http://www.facebook.com/SaveOurMarineStation

If you have not already done so, please could you register your support on these sites.

Thank you in advance,
best regards,
Philip Smith
Dr I. Philip Smith
University Marine Biological Station
Millport, Isle of Cumbrae, KA28 0EG, UK
Tel. +44 (0)1475 530581  Fax. +44 (0)1475 530601
Email: philip...@millport.gla.ac.uk
Web: www.gla.ac.uk/marinestation

The University of London is an exempt charity in England and Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (reg. no. SC041194)

Andrew Barham

Jan 14, 2013, 11:18:43 AM1/14/13
to cien...@googlegroups.com
Is this due to some stupid funding cut from the Cameron Government?

Jan 14, 2013, 11:38:33 AM1/14/13
to cien...@googlegroups.com
This proposal follows the closure of the Port Erin Marine Laboratory run by the University of Liverpool in the Isle of Man because of budget cuts about six years ago.

Best wishes

Richard