Re: A Sea Turtle Egg Found on Jersey

Paul Chambers

Jun 8, 2013, 11:03:42 AM6/8/13
to CIen...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Yesterday the Marine Bio Section at La Société Jersiaise received a rather
extraordinary report of a sea turtle's egg having been washed up on St
Brelade's beach (see attached pictures).

Andy Farmer, a local sea turtle expert (see www.littlefeet.org.uk ), looked
at the pictures and spoke with the person who found it (and who still has
the egg). He says the following:

'First impression, I'm pretty sure it's a leatherback egg. From the pics and
what [the person who found it] told me, I would say it is very fresh, only a
couple days old if that. So that only leaves the small conundrum, what is it
doing on St Brelade's beach? Turtles can discharge eggs at sea which I think
is the likely answer. Or has she tried to nest on one of our beaches? We
have had small tides so it could be possible, but highly unlikely.'

The woman who found the egg also reported a set of unusual tracks on the
beach but didn't photograph them, unfortunately, as it did not occur to her
that it was a turtle egg at that point. Andy has checked St Brelade's and
some neighbouring beaches for any further eggs but to no avail. He will keep
looking into this and I'll post any further news here but this may be one of
those frustrating biological mysteries about whose solution we may only
speculate.

I can't find any historical records of turtle eggs in the CI but if anyone
knows of any, could they let me know. Also, if those of you that are walking
on the beach could keep an eye out for any other eggs, that would be great.

Paul
egg on the beach (2).jpg
egg on the beach (1).jpg

Andrew Barham

Jun 8, 2013, 12:49:43 PM6/8/13
to cien...@googlegroups.com
Guess that's one sea turtle egg that's not gonna hatch.