Possible False Black Widow Infestation.

Ryan Le Guilcher

Sep 18, 2012, 6:26:04 AM9/18/12
to cien...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Question for any spider experts...

Although on speaking to a couple of local pest control companies, i have been told that we do not get false black widow spiders in Guernsey, i'm unconvinced.

I first came across these when living in Newquay a few years ago, where a spider expert was doing a 'show and tell' at the local supermarket (later found them in my house there). Apparently their bite can be quite nasty, although like most spiders, they won't really bother you unless disturbed.

On moving back to Guernsey, i bought a 200ish yr old house, with accompanying old outhouse, garage, etc, and quickly realised i was sharing my house with these spiders, though i've quite happily left them to it.

I'm now doing a renovation project, which involves taking down the ceiling in two upstairs bedrooms - This means removing the insulation i laid up there a couple of years ago and it was whilst in the attic, starting this, that i noticed many of these spiders - at a glance, perhaps a dozen, within say, 2 square metres (so probably many more).

My question is, as i am obviously going to be disturbing these spiders whilst removing and replacing the ceilings, should i fumigate? - I have a 19 month old daughter and 2 dogs. One of the latter has infact in the past had to go to the vets with a swollen face, which was put down to a possible spider bite.

Happy to supply photos, or indeed specimens if anyone is interested.

Jamie Hooper

Sep 18, 2012, 3:37:16 PM9/18/12
to cien...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

The common name False Black Widow can be applied to several species, but normally to the Steotoda genus. I think you are referring to S. nobilis which arrived in the UK from the Canaries in bananas. It is now well established in the south and is recorded locally.

The more likely species to encounter is S. grossa. which is a true native. It is generally common. It is the one with a body like a black marble which appears when you tidy the shed.

All members of the genus will give an impressive nip although generally it will cause no long-lasting problems. I have quite a few in my loft and I managed to insulate the whole lot without any problems. I made a pact with them while I was up there – they can live there as long as they don’t come into the house proper. They have kept their side of the bargain.

So, don’t believe the pest companies – there are a few cowboys out there but in fairness, they probably latched onto the words ‘black widow’.

Regards

Jamie