Olive oil as oxygen barrier

radfordgraham333

Oct 18, 2021, 3:04:09 AM10/18/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm wondering if using olive oil on top finished cider for long term storage will impart any off flavours?

Seems like a good way of keeping out oxygen, but I'm wondering

A) how effective it will be at preventing oxidation?

B) will it cause any off flavours after long term contact eg. 6 or 12 months?

Planning on trying it out but would like to see if anyone has had success with this method first.

Any input is appreciated,

Graham

Sent from my Galaxy

AW

Oct 28, 2021, 7:44:16 PM10/28/21
to Cider Workshop
I wish someone would do this (with a control fermentation sans oil) and report back.  Not me though.....

tom.t...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2021, 10:51:15 AM10/29/21
to Cider Workshop

I for one wouldn't make either barrel particularly large for this experiment....

My experience of ciders kept under oil thus far in life is generally one of volatile acidity, as the euphemism goes.

Tom

DICK KIRK

Oct 31, 2021, 10:40:44 AM10/31/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Better to use a more neutral oil, like canola.
Dick

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

AW

Nov 2, 2021, 3:23:43 PM11/2/21
to Cider Workshop
I wonder if food grade mineral oil is the way to go.  Quite neutral in flavor...and less prone to oxidation if I recall my organic chemistry correctly....

Matthew Moser Miller

Nov 2, 2021, 4:24:35 PM11/2/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Given all of this effort (and what seems like potential risk?) of bulk aging and attempting to prevent oxygen ingress, can anyone explain why you'd be bulk aging in the first place instead of just bottling your cider and leaving it to condition in bottle (especially if you intend to bottle eventually)? I get that the economic outlay for stainless steel bulk conditioning tanks is too great for most small makers (it is for me, too; that's why I bottle); but bottling seems much simpler and more stable in terms of storage.

Best,

Matt Moser Miller

gareth chapman

Nov 3, 2021, 11:50:54 AM11/3/21
to Cider Workshop
It might not be destined for bottles. About half of my cider ends up in some form of bag or pouch