Opinions on these late varieties please.

csto...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 7:55:49 PM11/28/21
to Cider Workshop
I want to plant one or two varieties ripening in early November. Looking for varieties that are not only good for cider, but are also moderately scab and insect resistant, that store well in a cold cellar. I already have Golden Russet and am planning to get Northwestern Greening. This is for Canadian hardiness Zone 4b (New Brunswick), which is something like USA Zone 3b?

I have been looking at Baxter, which is locally available. Would that add anything significant to a Golden Russet & NWG cider, or possibly an ice cider?

With some effort I could also import the following from another province:

Blue Pearmain (? hardy enough)
Fuji (? hardy enough)
Jonagold

Would any of them be better than Baxter?

Cheers,

Christina.

Claude Jolicoeur

Nov 28, 2021, 9:37:27 PM11/28/21
to Cider Workshop
You already have 2 varieties that have good acidity. For my part, I would plant a bittersweet variety to balance the acidity. Yarlington Mill or Bulmer's Norman for example... You are in New Brunswick, you'll find some at the Corn Hill Nursery.

csto...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2021, 7:19:39 AM11/29/21
to Cider Workshop

Hi Claude,

Thanks for your reply. I actually have a Yarlington Mill (from Cornhill) that is not producing yet. I will certainly put them in cider with NWG and Golden Russet, as you suggest.

But some day I want to try making ice cider, in which case I should swap the Yarlington Mills for a non-tannic lower acid variety. Is that correct? I also want to keep some of the harvest in the cold cellar for winter use in lunches, and the kitchen, so I guess they can't be too low in acid. It is important that this lower acid variety not ripen until November, as it takes that long for our cold cellar to cool off.

 Maybe I don't need a third variety for ice cider and winter storeage, and can just stick to NWG and Golden Russet. What do you think?

Thanks again. Cheers.

Claude Jolicoeur

Nov 29, 2021, 8:13:39 AM11/29/21
to Cider Workshop
I think Liberty is very nice in ice cider. Plus this is the easiest tree to grow.
Others that I like using in ice cider are Prairie Spy, Cortland.

csto...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2021, 10:19:54 AM11/29/21
to Cider Workshop
Thanks Claude. Prairie Spy sounds like a great option. I will try to track down some scionwood.

In my experience Cortland ripens too early to store well in a cold cellar.