Honneyman method for ABV

Claude Jolicoeur

Jul 27, 2011, 11:14:22 PM7/27/11
to Cider Workshop
I am starting a new thread here because the old one on measurement of
ABV is getting quite crowded...

I have looked a little more deeply into the Honeymann table. I was
wondering in fact if I could rebuild the table from standard
alcoholometric tables such as the OIML table that we can find here:
http://www.oiml.org/publications/R/R022-e75.pdf

And the answer is yes - i.e. the Honneyman table is a simple reworking
of an alcoholometric table that would give the ABV of a pure water-
alcohol mixture in function of the SG (60F/60F).

This does makes sense... If you have a 5% ABV mixture of pure water
and alcohol, its SG(60F/60F) will be 0.9929 (note this is from
interpolation in the OIML table). Now, remove the alcohol and replace
it with distilled water, the SG(60F/60F) will be 1.000, for a
difference in SG of 0.0071. Repeat this for different values of ABV
and present it the other way around to get ABV in function of the
variation of SG and you obtain the Honneyman table, exactly.

The assumption in the Honneyman method is then that this difference in
SG (i.e 0.0071) will be maintained for any cider/wine/beer that has
5%ABV. In other words the soluble solids that raise the SG of a 5% ABV
cider to say 0.999 or 1.002 will raise it by exactly the same amount
once the alcohol will have been removed.

This is of a disarming simplicity!

Claude

Duncan

Jul 28, 2011, 5:52:14 PM7/28/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Honneyman's assumption is that when a given mass of solute (the cider solids) dissolves in water or a water ethanol mixture the resulting volume will be the same. Almost certainly it will not however but I have no idea as to the magnitude of the discrepancy, perhaps it is trivially small. The discrepancy and hence error in the honneyman method is likely to be greater with greater proportions of solids or ethanol. Since these both are reflected in the starting sg value perhaps the honeyman value needs to be corrected for starting sg. This is perhaps the basis for lloyds assertion that sg difference should not be used, but rather the proportional rise in sg. Sorry if this is clutching at straws but I like the idea of Lloyd being right!

Duncan

Claude Jolicoeur

Jul 30, 2011, 1:17:54 AM7/30/11
to Cider Workshop
Duncan wrote:
> Honneyman's assumption is that when a given mass of solute (the cider solids) dissolves in water or a water ethanol mixture the resulting volume will be the same. Almost certainly it will not however but I have no idea as to the magnitude of the discrepancy, perhaps it is trivially small.

Duncan, why wouldn't it be? Let's assume we have 2 bottles containing
exactly 1 litre - one is filled with pure water and the other filled
with a mixture of alcohol and water. Now add to the 2 bottles the
soluble solids that make a cider different from a pure water-alcohol
mixture, i.e. some sugar, acid, tannin, flavours etc. If we add the
same quantity of soluble solids in each bottle, I don't see why the
density wouldn't change by the same amount in both. Well, there could
be some slight second order effects - I guess some tests are required!

>Sorry if this is clutching at straws but I like the idea of Lloyd being right!

Why? Honneyman having published his method after Lloyd, he must have
been aware of his work. Then if he has decided to publish a newer
method, it might have been because there are some flaws in the Lloyd
approach. Note also that Lloyd gives absolutely no scientific
justification for his procedure... We need Honneyman's paper to see
his justification for his method!

I did a few side-by-side calculations to give us an idea of the
difference between the two.
Let us assume a finished cider SG 1.000, and with alcohol replaced by
water, SG 1.007
Honneyman: difference is 0.007, i.e. alcohol same as a water-alcohol
mixture with SG 0.993, which gives 4.90%ABV.
Lloyd: ratio is 1.000/1.007 = 0.99305, which gives 4.86%ABV
Difference between the 2 is 0.04%ABV, which is rather negligible.

Now for a cider which has some residual sugar, let's assume finished
cider SG 1.020, and with alcohol replaced with water 1.027. Honneyman
gives same result as above,
Lloyd: ratio is 1.020/1.027 = 0.99318, which gives 4.76%ABV
Difference has increased to 0.14%ABV, still quite small.

In conclusion, for all practical purposes in cidermaking, the 2
approaches are equivalent. For ice cider however, the difference could
become more noticeable. A typical ice cider has a finished SG of the
order of 1.060. Assuming SG raises to 1.074 when alcohol is replaced
with water, a difference of 0.014.
Honneyman: alcohol would be the same as a water-alcohol mixture with
SG 0.986, which gives 10.55%ABV.
Lloyd: ratio is 1.060/1.074 = .98696, which gives 9.73%ABV
The difference between the 2 is now close to 1%ABV, this is becoming
quite significant.

Claude

MikeB...@aol.com

Jul 30, 2011, 3:34:31 AM7/30/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Duncan wrote:
> Honneyman's assumption is that when a given mass of solute (the cider solids) dissolves in water or a water ethanol mixture the resulting volume will be the same. Almost certainly it will not however but I have no idea as to the magnitude of the discrepancy, perhaps it is trivially small.
It may be I'm way off track here, but it seems to me the Honneyman method sidesteps this problem by controlling the volume carefully, and maintaining all and any 'cider solids'.  It takes the view: here is a mix of water, solids and ethanol: we'll remove (just) the ethanol, replace it with the same volume of water, and measure the difference that makes to the specific gravity.  From that difference we can calculate the amount of ethanol that was evaporated off.  The solids (whether as clumpy particles or molecules in solution) fraction of the mixture is held constant, and so can be discounted.

The only thing that can interefere with the calculation is if some other substances evaporate along with the ethanol.  Or am I missing something?

Mike

Duncan Galletly

Jul 30, 2011, 7:32:54 AM7/30/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike and Claude

Not 100% certain mike but I think so. I think its what I missed also when I tried to try to work out the Honneyman method from first principles. I thought initially that by knowing the density of ethanol and water and having a constant mass of solids should allow one to work out the ABV on the back of an envelope. However I had never appreciated that when it comes to chemistry A+B does not equal A+B. Not sure I can explain it clearly but here's an attempt....

Specific gravity is the relative density of the substance one is measuring against a standard (usually water at a specified temperature). SG is therefore the density of the measured substance divided by a constant. Ignoring this constant SG is therefore related to the mass of the measured substance divided by its volume.

When one combines two different liquids such as 50ml ethanol and 950ml water you would imagine that the volume of the mixture would equal 1 litre and by adding the two masses, the density would equal those added masses divided by 1 litre. So one would think, Unfortunately its not the case and here lies the complexity behind Honneyman and all these discussions. Although the conservation of mass will predict that the mass of water and ethanol will be constant, the addition of a volume of 50ml ethanol and 950ml water does not result in 1000ml. I don't understand the detailed intermolecular chemistry but its a sad fact that the volume is different and therefore the density of the mixture simply cannot be predicted from knowledge of the known density of ethanol at say 20deg C and that of water. If it could be predicted, one could calculate easily the alcohol concentration of a cider simply from Honneyman's two specific gravities (initial and after evaporation and reconstitution).

In the same way when a solute of known mass and volume (y) dissolves in a solvent of volume x, its final volume is not necessarily x + y. By the conservation of mass the total mass will be the same but the total volume is different i.e. the final density is not predictable. The change in volume of the solution (and hence density) relates to the molecular characteristics of the solute and the solvent.

Importantly therefore the same mass of solute will cause different volume expansion in different solvents. Here Claude is where I think Honneyman's error lies (Not error really because he probably knew it but was simply trying to give a rough and ready method for ABV measurement).

My hunch is that the polar characteristics of water make it quite different from that of ethanol and that adding a given mass of solute to water will cause differing volume expansion to that of ethanol or an ethanol/water mixture. Therefore the density of the water + solids mixture is different from the same volume of the water + ethanol + solids solution, not only because of the expected effect of ethanol, but additionally because the solute causes a different expansion (and hence density) of a water versus ethanol water mixture..

Claude said that " In other words the soluble solids that raise the SG of a 5% ABV
cider to say 0.999 or 1.002 will raise it by exactly the same amount
once the alcohol will have been removed".

My point is that the given mass of soluble solids  will cause a different expansion (and hence density, and hence SG) of the liquid depending upon whether that liquid is water or a water/ethanol mixture and that the volume expansion will relate to the proportion of ethanol in the mixture and how much of the solids are present. I don't know how much this variation is but it may be significant enough to contribute to error. If it is significant then it suggests that as well as the SG difference the calculation of ABV must also take into account solids / ethanol, hence Lloyd and the proportional method.

Unpredictable volume expansion (and possibly contraction) when liquids and solutes are added to each other is what makes all of these calculations so complex. Although subsequent masses can be predicted by these aditions, the volumes (and hence densities and hence SG) cannot.

Not sure if I've explained this well enough (its late at night in this part of the world) but heres the post anyway.

Duncan

Claude Jolicoeur

Aug 2, 2011, 1:26:54 AM8/2/11
to Cider Workshop
MikeBisp wrote:
> The only thing that can interefere with the calculation is if some other
> substances evaporate along with the ethanol.  Or am I missing  something?

Mike, if this would be the case, then the distillation method of
measuring the alcohol would not be accurate. And since that
distillation method is considered as the most accurate, we may I guess
consider that only ethanol and water do evaporate.

Further, the classical method to measure the soluble solids is to
evaporate all the liquids and then measure the weight of the dried
solids. If these did evaporate in part, we would not have an exact
measure this way.
Claude

Nick Bradstock

Aug 2, 2011, 5:13:14 AM8/2/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
The other point about the distillation method - for the UK anyway - is that
it is the legally defined method. Whatever drawbacks or faults it may have,
the result given by distillation done in the specified manner by an
accredited analyst is legally binding for duty purposes (subject to the
specified condition - see next) - and label declarations too I believe.
Some adjustment can be made for interference by substances that render the
method inaccurate - but this would have to be proven to HMRC's satisfaction.
Distillation would be used to decide a dispute.
Any other (respectable!) method of analysis is acceptable as long as it can
be shown to refer on a repeatable basis to results found by distillation.
Best
Nick

Sn 26 (of HMRC Notice 162 - Cider production, Sept 2010):
Distillation analysis: method of determining the strength of cider.
This method is referred to in section 9.
If there is a dispute over strength our officer may take samples of cider
which will be analysed using the following method:
• take a representative sample and, after clearing it of sediment and gas in
an approved manner, a definite quantity by measure at the temperature of
20°C is made
alkaline by the addition of calcium hydroxide, and then distilled
• make up the distillate at the temperature of 20°C with distilled water to
the original measure of the quantity before distillation
• ascertain the strength of the distillate by determining its density in air
at the temperature of 20°C by means of an approved pycnometer used in an
approved manner, and
• the strength of product is the percentage of alcohol by volume in the
'Laboratory Alcohol Table'* which corresponds to the density determined by
this method. Where the density falls between two consecutive numbers in the
table the strength will be determined by linear interpolation.
Where the result ascertained by this method is rendered inaccurate by the
presence of substances other than alcohol that method shall be adjusted in
such a manner as may be approved by HMRC for the purpose of producing an
accurate result.
*'Laboratory Alcohol Table' means a table of which a copy, signed by the
Chairman of the Commissioners and identifying it as relating to the Spirits
Regulations 1991, has been deposited in the office of the Queen's
Remembrancer at the Royal Courts of Justice.

Andrew Lea

Aug 2, 2011, 6:12:22 AM8/2/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
On 02/08/2011 06:26, Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
> MikeBisp wrote:
>> The only thing that can interefere with the calculation is if some other
>> substances evaporate along with the ethanol. Or am I missing something?
>
> Mike, if this would be the case, then the distillation method of
> measuring the alcohol would not be accurate. And since that
> distillation method is considered as the most accurate, we may I guess
> consider that only ethanol and water do evaporate.

Not quite true, I'm afraid. Of course many of the flavour volatiles
distill over but they are reckoned in parts per million hence too little
to affect the results. More significantly, acetic acid distills over and
I have been told that lactic acid can partially steam distill as well.
For this reason the determination of alcohol by distillation is usually
done on a solution previously made alkaline to neutralise the acids (see
Nick's note). But such an alkalised residue would be no good for
determining 'extract' nor for the Honneyman method.

> Further, the classical method to measure the soluble solids is to
> evaporate all the liquids and then measure the weight of the dried
> solids. If these did evaporate in part, we would not have an exact
> measure this way.

Again, not quite true. To get an accurate measure of 'extract'
gravimetrically you have to do the evaporation very gently on a
waterbath. Direct heating can lead to carbonisation which may lead to
loss of mass and may also possibly lead to change of SG by formation of
new Maillard compounds from sugar degradation at high concentration.

Duncan has already mentioned the volume contraction that takes place
when alcohol and water are mixed. All these effects may be small
(except the effect of volatile acid, depending on the sample) but they
need to be recognised as potential sources of error.

Andrew

--
Wittenham Hill Cider Page
http://www.cider.org.uk

Claude Jolicoeur

Aug 2, 2011, 12:37:38 PM8/2/11
to Cider Workshop
Andrew Lea wrote:
> More significantly, acetic acid distills over and
> I have been told that lactic acid can partially steam distill as well.
> For this reason the determination of alcohol by distillation is usually
> done on a solution previously made alkaline to neutralise the acids (see
> Nick's note).

Yea... I now remember reading somewhere that volatile acidity could
affect distillation results and that acidity should be neutralised. I
suppose this would be a more important factor in spanish ciders which
contain more acetic/volatil acidity.
Question - how much volatile acidity may a cider contain before being
considered awful, and how could this amount of acidity affect the
result of distillation (assuming distillation without neutralisation
of acidity) and of Honneyman?

> Again, not quite true. To get an accurate measure of 'extract'
> gravimetrically you have to do the evaporation very gently on a
> waterbath. Direct heating can lead to carbonisation which may lead to
> loss of mass and may also possibly lead to change of SG by formation of
> new Maillard compounds from sugar degradation at high concentration.

So, if I follow you well, the slowlier the evaporation, the more
solids are kept. This would also apply to Honneyman - the slowlier the
alcohol in the cider is evaporated, the more accurate the method would
be...

> Duncan has already mentioned the volume contraction that takes place
> when alcohol and water are mixed.

Yes, but this is already taken into account in the Honneyman table,
since it is derived from alcoholometric tables, and these tables exist
because there is volumic contraction - if there was no such volumic
contraction, we wouldn't need the alcoholometric tables...

Claude

Duncan

Aug 3, 2011, 12:31:33 AM8/3/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Andrew wrote

Claude wrote:

>Yes, but this is already taken into account in the Honneyman table,
>since it is derived from alcoholometric tables, and these tables exist
>because there is volumic contraction - if there was no such volumic
>contraction, we wouldn't need the alcoholometric tables...

Claude, my primary contention is that not only alcohol, but also solutes influence expansion and contraction of solutions such that these produce error in methods such as Honneymans.

In relation to the effect of solute, can I give a worked example.

Imagine we have the components of a cider, simplistically some soluble solids, and a water – ethanol mixture. So as not to complicate things, lets assume that water and water-ethanol both have a density of 1.0g/ml. They don’t of course but it isn’t relevant to this part of the discussion.

If we take 20grams of our solids and place them into a volume of 990ml ethanol-water we may find (fortuitously) that the resulting volume is 1000ml. The resulting density is therefore 20+990 / 1000 or 1.010g/ml i.e. a SG of 1.010.

Mr Honeyman now comes along and evaporates (gently), all of the solvent away, leaving us back with the original soluble solids, he then begins to add distilled water.

Now if 20grams of the solids expands the water slightly more than the original alcohol-water solvent, such that 20grams of solvent and 990ml of water makes up a volume of 1005ml, Honneyman will find that he only needs 985ml to reconstitute the original 1000ml volume. This time the density is therefore 20+985 / 1000 or 1.005 i.e. an apparent drop in SG of  0.005. This error will add to the densitometric variation of the alcohol / water mixture of course, but the latter can be removed from tables, but the 0.005 error remains.

Because this error increases as we increase the mass of solid, and also perhaps as alcohol increases, we possibly need to take starting SG into the calculations, hence proportional change in SG may be better than subtraction.

It transpires that in fact all of this was known over a hundred years ago, that Honneyman probably had little or no role in the development of the method and that modern formulae may provide more accurate analysis.

The original method was described by a French chemist by the name of Tabarie in 1830. He developed tables for calculating alcohol from a comparison of starting SG and SG after evaporation and reconstitution. The original formula used the ratio of the two values but in the 1890’s a Thomas Blunt suggested that the relationship was better described by subtraction. There was some disagreement at the time with subsequent papers by Harvey, Allen and Leonard, providing no clear consensus. Textbooks at the time said that the subtraction method should not be used but it retained its advocates. Lloyd in his cider analyses clearly disagreed however and agreed with the textbooks.

 Honneyman was clearly an advocate for subtraction 60 years later, and it seems today the subtraction method is the one most commonly encountered.

Some modern authors have questioned this subtraction method. Hackbarth in the Journal of American Brewing (2009) realised that "This approach assumes that the binary solutions are independent and does not consider ethanol-sucrose interactions or the disruptive effects a second solute has on intermolecular forces." In 2011 Hackbarth in the same journal goes on to provide a more accurate formula.

Hackbarth's criticism of the subtraction method I guess is similar to my problem with it and interestingly the same views were expressed a century before when, in 1897, a theoretical analysis (The Analyst September 1897) noted that “As we have pointed out, the subtraction formula does indeed imply that the substances exert their specific influence on the density of the solution, independently of each others presence; but this supposition is not in accordance with our experiments. The latter show that when solutions of sugar and alcohol are mixed, a slight expansion takes place, the actual density of the mixture being lower than that calculated by the subtraction formula.”

Over 100 years later Tabarie’s method is still in use but in recent years the formula seems to be undergoing attempted revision e.g. Hackbarth.

Thus Honneyman’s method is actually the method proposed by Blunt in the 1890’s and its problems were recognised at the time. Blunts method (nee Honneyman's) incorporates many errors a) that due to the expansion/contraction of solute, b) the complex effect of distilling off non alcoholic vapors, c) inacuracy in exactly attaining the identical temperature between initial and final solutions (which will cause differing thermal expansion and hence density), d) the effect of gases (such as carbon dioxide) which are more likely to be present in cider than in distilled water and perhaps e) chemical reactions in the boiling cider that will lead to density changes – a precipitate or sediment has been noted in boiled ciders and this will of course alter density.

On top of all of this the chemical composition and hence thermodynamic considerations for wine, cider and beer are different and hence this discussion is a very good example of what Andrew says repeatedly – all of these things must be calibrated for cider, not for beer or wine.

Duncan

Andrew Lea

Aug 3, 2011, 2:37:35 AM8/3/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
On 03/08/2011 05:31, Duncan wrote:

> The original method was described by a French chemist by the name of

> Tabarie in 1830. [Long history removed]

Tabarie is still nowadays cited as the originator of the 'extract'
method. You have done a wonderful job researching the past literature,
Duncan. I have only found transient references to most of that, and some
of it is very obscure and impossible to obtain outside of a specialist
library! Did you find all that in one inclusive source or did you have
to piece it together? BTW I am still pursuing a copy of Honneyman's
paper via the British Library but it is a tedious process. Hope it
doesn't prove to be a damp squib when I finally get it!

Andrew

Andrew Lea

Aug 3, 2011, 6:05:59 AM8/3/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
On 02/08/2011 17:37, Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
> Andrew Lea wrote:
>> More significantly, acetic acid distills over and
>> I have been told that lactic acid can partially steam distill as well.
>> For this reason the determination of alcohol by distillation is usually
>> done on a solution previously made alkaline to neutralise the acids (see
>> Nick's note).
>
> Yea... I now remember reading somewhere that volatile acidity could
> affect distillation results and that acidity should be neutralised. I
> suppose this would be a more important factor in spanish ciders which
> contain more acetic/volatil acidity.
> Question - how much volatile acidity may a cider contain before being
> considered awful, and how could this amount of acidity affect the
> result of distillation (assuming distillation without neutralisation
> of acidity) and of Honneyman?

Quick 'back of envelope' calculation...... A cider with 0.2% acetic acid
might be on the verge of 'awful' but it is not a direct correlation
since most of what you detect is ethyl acetate. (Charley in 1932 wrote
... "It has been repeatedly observed that samples containing 0.25 - 0.3%
volatile acid may appear to the taste to be less acetic than ciders
containing considerably lower amounts). The SG of acetic acid is around
1.05. So, taking 0.2% as a yardstick, that gives an elevation of SG in
the distillate (made up to original volume) of 0001 degrees. For an
alcohol table at around 5.8% ABV (i.e. ca SG 9990 vs 9991) this
corresponds to a depression of about 0.07% ABV. Taking other minor acids
into consideration the potential error may be around 0.1% ABV depression
if the cider is not neutralised. I will leave you to do the Honneyman
calculation!

Zoecklein's "Wine Analysis and Production" also says that SO2 at 200 pmm
can depress the ABV value in the distillate by 0.2 - 0.5% v/v (because
SO2 is steam volatile from acid solution), likewise any wine in excess
of 0.1% acetic acid. Hence he recommends neutralisation prior to alcohol
determination.

For 'extract' distillation (relevant to the Honneyman procedure)
Zoecklein also notes "water, lactic and acetic acids, ethylene glycol
and 2,3 butylene glycol may be differentially lost during distillation.
Furthermore, dehydration products resulting from heating of sugars may
form, changing the density of the solution formed upon dilution back to
the original volume".

Andrew

Duncan

Aug 3, 2011, 9:58:13 PM8/3/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Andrew
Much of the information came from abstracts published in the analyst in the 1890's . The royal society of chemistry has them in facsimile on the web but it requires an institutional log in unfortunately. The most recent paper I cited provided me with the clue that tabarie had developed the technique and subsequent searches of his name unravelled the debate regarding subtraction and division. Happy to provide the ten or so references but I'm not sure whether the pdf's I've downloaded are able to becirculated - they seem to cost £32 each!

"the analyst" also provided me with two nice articles on cider composition by barker and Russell, 1909, and "a contribution to the chemistry of cider" by Alfred Allen, 1901. Allen from memory was a subtractionist.
Duncan

Claude Jolicoeur

Aug 3, 2011, 10:30:51 PM8/3/11
to Cider Workshop
Duncan wrote:
> Claude, my primary contention is that not only alcohol, but also solutes
> influence expansion and contraction of solutions such that these produce
> error in methods such as Honneymans.

Yes... I realised that just a short while after I hit the send
button.... But I have been quite busy all day and didn't find the time
to correct it... And I sort of forgot about it also! until I read your
post...

But I think we need to put all this into perspective. No one ever
claimed this was an exact method, and I don't think any formula or
modification can make it exact. What we know is that the lower the
final density of the cider, the more accurate the method will be -
simply because if the finished cider has a low density, its properties
will be closer to that of a water-ethanol mixture because it contains
less soluble solids.

My feeling is that the method can estimate the ABV of a cider to +/-
0.5% (depending on the accuracy of the hydrometer used) quite reliably
(say 19 times out of 20 like in surveys) as long as the SG of the
finished cider does not exceed 1.025. For ice ciders with a SG of the
order of 1.060, it could be more problematic.

So I think this can be a very useful method to cross check the ABV
after having estimated it from the SG drop between juice to finished
cider. We know that the SG drop estimation is not exact because of
many factors (we have discussed this recently) and this estimation is
probably also accurate to +/- 0.5% ABV 19 times out of 20...

Then, if a cidermaker uses the 2 methods and gets very close results,
he can be quite confident on the result, as the 2 methods are fairly
independant. On the other hand, if the 2 estimates are very different,
the cidermaker may choose to send a sample of that particular cider to
a lab for analysis.

Claude

Duncan Galletly

Aug 4, 2011, 2:11:30 AM8/4/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

But I think we need to put all this into perspective. No one ever
claimed this was an exact method, and I don't think any formula or
modification can make it exact. What we know is that the lower the
final density of the cider, the more accurate the method will be -
simply because if the finished cider has a low density, its properties
will be closer to that of a water-ethanol mixture because it contains
less soluble solids.

That is true, but the discussions we've had perhaps do suggest ways to improve the accuracy. Ensuring degassing of both solutions, discarding the result if a precipitate forms in the boiled solution, ensuring accuracy in SG, temperature and volume measurement etc

To be honest though I think the most important improvement can come from creating tables or formulae based upon SG on a range of real ciders, not, as Honneyman seems to have done simply basing it on an alcohol-water mixture. Having a simple lookup table of estimated ABV with SG1 against SG2 would simplify matters enormously. In looking up uses of the Tabarie/Blunt method over the past couple of years I found a a few abstracts of papers presented by different groups basing new formulae and calculations on large samples of real beer, not on theoretical modelling. Given the complexity of the whole thing that surely is the way to go. I know modelling is fashionable but here we really do have a very complex system.

My feeling is that the method can estimate the ABV of a cider to +/-
0.5% (depending on the accuracy of the hydrometer used) quite reliably
(say 19 times out of 20 like in surveys) as long as the SG of the
finished cider does not exceed 1.025. For ice ciders with a SG of the
order of 1.060, it could be more problematic.

Firstly a lookup table based upon real cider data would overcome that problem in part. However an accuracy of +/- 0.5% would put it in the same league as the refractometer / hydrometer method, or at least the accuracy claimed by companies such as Bellingham and Stanley who sell refractometers. A PDF of the method is described in their site:

Other than the 40 odd quid needed for the refractometer, that method appears simplicity itself. The only difficulty is waiting an hour or two for all the equipment to reach room temperature. But then, measure the SG, take a reading from the refractometer, and a paper or web based lookup table gives an ABV. Two measurements and all over in 5minutes. I am sure it will have its own inherent problems (is that a separate thread!) but compared to the fiddle of getting together an expensive volumetric flask, an accurate thermometer, distilled water and then boiling the cider and trying to get all of it back in the flask without any losses is something that I'd probably find myself deferring for as long as possible.

Then, if a cidermaker uses the 2 methods and gets very close results,
he can be quite confident on the result, as the 2 methods are fairly
independant. On the other hand, if the 2 estimates are very different,
the cidermaker may choose to send a sample of that particular cider to
a lab for analysis.

I'm not sure about this claude, what would happen if both methods had a systematic error in the same direction? We'd imagine we would have a very accurate estimate but both may be way off. Alternatively if the systematic error placed both estimates further apart we would be forever sending our samples off for analysis.

I suspect with all these methods that we are groping in a fog of error. But perhaps if somehow we could get maybe 200 samples of a wide range of ciders tested accurately for true ABV, original and final SG's, refractometer readings and post evaporation SG's from the Tabarie/Blunt we might be able to produce something really valuable and possibly with an error a little closer to the legal tolerance allowed.

 Duncan

Duncan Galletly

Aug 4, 2011, 2:25:25 AM8/4/11
to Cider Workshop

As a postscript I wanted to ask Nick whether the lookup table used for
the official method was based upon cider data or ethanol-water
mixture. It seems odd that if the distillation method is the preferred
official technique yet might have an accuracy of +/- 0.5% then how can
it be used to regulate labelling that demands a tolerance less than
this. Very confusing.
Duncan

Claude Jolicoeur

Aug 4, 2011, 7:23:41 AM8/4/11
to Cider Workshop
As far as I know, close range hyrometers that give a direct ABV
reading are used See for example this one that has a range of 0 -
5%ABV for a cost of over 70€... In cidermaking, one would most likely
also need the 5-10% one.
http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.asp?cfid=4&id=2080&cat=426&dt=24

Distillation method, done according to all guidelines with acid
neutralisation has a better accuracy than +/- 0.5; it is more like +/-
0.1% according to the claims I have seen. See
http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.asp?cfid=4&id=373&cat=426&dt=24

You can then get full equipped fo distillation for about 570€
including 2 hydrometers. (Their ebullioneter is more expensive at over
700€).

Interestingly, I just noticed while searching for the above hydrometer
that Brouwland also sell an hydrometer (which includes a thermometer)
specially for the Honneyman (or a variation) for 20€. They don't give
much details however. They simply say that the second measurement is
taken after alcohol evaporation and that tables are provided.
http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.asp?cfid=4&id=363&cat=426&dt=24

Claude

Nick Bradstock

Aug 4, 2011, 1:26:38 PM8/4/11
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I'll do my poor best!
The Spirits Table appears to be based on historical (and now old) data
collected by the (now defunct?) Laboratory of The Government Chemist
for/from the first distillation stage in the making of spirit drinks (whisky
- even whiskey, gin and vodka) made in the UK and specified in the various
Spirits Regulations. The reference appears to have been simply picked up
and transferred across to cider, wine and, I believe, beer made in the UK.

(Beer duty was, until 1993, calculated from wort SG before fermentation but
had to change to %ABV on the adoption of (what else?) EU Directive 92/83.)

As such the table would, I suppose, be based on fermented saccharified grain
mixtures - not fermented apple juice....
I guess we should have to ask the Queen's Remembrancer for confirmation!
Best
Nick

Aug 9, 2011, 10:24:51 AM8/9/11
to Cider Workshop
On 4 août, 07:23, I wrote:
> Interestingly, I just noticed while searching for the above hydrometer
> that Brouwland also sell an hydrometer (which includes a thermometer)
> specially for the Honneyman (or a variation) for 20€. They don't give
> much details however. They simply say that the second measurement is
> taken after alcohol evaporation and that tables are provided.
http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.asp?cfid=4&id=363&cat=426&dt=24

I have asked Brouwland to provide some details on their "wine-weigher
VINOFERM with thermometer" - see above link.
They replied by sending a PDF of the user's guide for the product (in
French and another language which I think must be Flemish). From this
guide, the method described is identical with the Honneyman procedure,
and the table provided is almost identical (slight differences on the
second decimal, somewhat larger difference for very high %ABV). The
hydrometer provided is graduated in Oechsle (which are same as degrees
of SG) and appears to have a range of -10 to 40 Oe (i.e. SG from 0.990
to 1.040) with graduations at 0.5.
They also provide a table giving the amount of extract in grams per
litre from the second gravity measure.
Claude