Fouesnant 111th cider competition

Claude Jolicoeur

Jun 7, 2024, 12:28:39 AMJun 7
to Cider Workshop
The Fouesnant Cider Competition will have its 111th edition this year, on July the 20th (Fouesnant is near Quimper in Brittany). This is the oldest cider competition still in activity! And although this has been mostly a regional competition, they want to make it special for this 111th edition. So they are adding an international amateur competition with a special program that will include some talks about the cider terroirs around the world. As they write in the web site: "This time the Pomological Association of Penfoulig, invites amateurs producers of the terroirs of the world and their ciders. Amateurs are not subject to economic hazards. This makes them the true guardians of the diversity of cider apple varieties. This diversity is now threatened by industry pressure and climate change."

I was there as a judge in 2016, and enjoyed it very much (I have some good friends there). I'll be there again this year, and will bring some Quebec ciders for the competition. They also anticipate participation from Spain, UK, Germany and other regions.

If you are interested in participating (or in being a judge - by the way, judges may be professional cider makers...), you can let me know and I'll make contact with the organization. And if you are in Quebec and would like to send a bottle, I might still have an empty spot in my suitcase...

Miguel A. Pereda

Jun 8, 2024, 4:33:54 AMJun 8
to Cider Workshop
The world of cider is very wide and diverse. Are categories going to be established to cater for this diversity?.
Miguel A. Pereda

Claude Jolicoeur

Jun 8, 2024, 10:45:55 AMJun 8
to Cider Workshop
Hola Miguel,
Yes you are certainly right, and I think this is going mostly a friendly competition... I however don't know about the details on how they will make the categories.
But they are making efforts to have some judges who have good experience in international ciders.
It will certainly be challenging, but I think we'll need to judge in relation to our experience with the style.
For example, if I judge a German cider, I need to give a score relative to my experience with German ciders. For me, it is possible as I have been a judge a few times in Frankfurt for the CiderWorld Awards.

By the way, Mark told me you were considering coming. It would certainly be a great pleasure to see you there. It will be 10 years since we met! I hope you can make it.

Miguel A. Pereda

Jun 11, 2024, 9:18:33 AMJun 11
to Cider Workshop
Hi Claude. I had originally intended to go back to Brittany and get in touch with friends in the cider world, but unfortunately this is not going to be possible because I have to give a talk on fermentation at the Nava Cider Festival at the same time. However, if Mark sends us a postal address we could send him a sample of our products.
Regards
Miguel A. Pereda