Adding malic accid to keeved Cider.

Troels Lyby

Nov 8, 2021, 7:45:34 AM11/8/21
to Cider Workshop
Hi All.
After trying for five years I finally succeded in keeving a must.
The hat started forming already after 3 days and I keeved it after 10 days.
The  must is Clear and amber coloured.
Since the pressing 15 days ago, SG has dropped five points from 1.056 to 1.051.
No added yeast.

However the PH is 4.3 and I am afraid the must is easily contaminated since I only added 50ppm Sulphite.
I know the level of sulphite is way to low but I would really like to keep it to a minimum.

I don't want to ruin the Keeve by adding fresh unkeeved juice, so my question is:
can I add Malic accid to adjust the Ph without ruining the clarity?

Best regards
Troels

Andrew Lea

Nov 8, 2021, 2:33:54 PM11/8/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on your keeve!

I have once added malic acid to a slow fermenting juice after its keeve, to drop the pH. It didn’t have any adverse effect on the clarity (nor would I have expected it to really).

I would just go ahead and do it.  pH 4.3 is rather high for comfort, in my view.

Good luck,

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk

On 8 Nov 2021, at 12:44, Troels Lyby <troel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Troels Lyby

Nov 9, 2021, 2:51:04 AM11/9/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I’ll go ahead then.
And btw thanks for your book. It’s my bible:)

Sendt fra min iPhone

Den 8. nov. 2021 kl. 20.33 skrev Andrew Lea <ci...@cider.org.uk>:

Congratulations on your keeve!
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Cider Workshop" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cider-workshop/5E1B864B-1C56-48BC-9552-514B8729A5B3%40cider.org.uk.