Pumping Apple Pulp

Tony Cross

Sep 13, 2021, 3:32:40 AM9/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I would like to pump apple pulp from a container from under my scratter , into the top of my bladder press. Tried a submersible open impeller septic pump but no good. It was a bit of a long shot and didn't cost much to buy, and it worked while there was a fair amount of juice in the pulp, but not as the dried out.  Can anyone share their experience with this issue?

Sent from Outlook

Charlotte Robinson

Sep 13, 2021, 6:07:23 AM9/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Just what I am looking for too! I did a bit of research last year and got nowhere. Any ideas gratefully received.

Charlotte

On Mon, 13 Sept 2021 at 08:32, Tony Cross <tony....@hotmail.com> wrote:
I would like to pump apple pulp from a container from under my scratter , into the top of my bladder press. Tried a submersible open impeller septic pump but no good. It was a bit of a long shot and didn't cost much to buy, and it worked while there was a fair amount of juice in the pulp, but not as the dried out.  Can anyone share their experience with this issue?

Sent from Outlook

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Andrew Lea

Sep 13, 2021, 6:13:42 AM9/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
In large cider factories this is done with progressive cavity or “mohno” pumps but these would be inflexible and expensive for the small user.

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk

paul.rolfe

Sep 13, 2021, 6:31:16 AM9/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Would a small augar or  Archimedes screw pump work?

Regards

Paul

Sent from my Galaxy

Mike Harris

Sep 13, 2021, 10:53:41 AM9/13/21
to Cider Workshop
We are in Canada and have used both a 1.5" and 3" waukesha positive displacment pumps to pump pomace.  Works best when the pomace is quite liquid but if you have a conical hopper into the intake that helps.

Vince Wakefield

Sep 13, 2021, 11:21:43 AM9/13/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

This is the sort of thing I will be looking at, so if anyone has any experience of these I would be grateful of your thoughts.

https://www.vitikit.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/FTF-Series.pdf

Cheers

Vince

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

evan owen

Sep 13, 2021, 5:10:21 PM9/13/21
to Cider Workshop
We pump juice back into the slurry when we get tough pumping

Tony Cross

Sep 14, 2021, 5:49:53 PM9/14/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
A dedicated unit like the Kiesel one shown are quite expensive, It is to me still a bit confusing on how to set something up using a collection drum and some sort of pump. If anyone has any pictures of their home made set ups would be beneficial . It is a bit risky to buy a pump just to hope it might work, just to see it fail.