New fruit forming at the end of Autumn

terryc...@gmail.com

May 19, 2024, 1:47:08 AMMay 19
to Cider Workshop

What is going on? Here in S.E. Australia we had a very poor growing season. An Antarctic blow out with freezing temperatures and strong winds devastated blossoms and forming fruit in Spring, such that in some cases trees only had a few surviving fruit. Summer started with lots of rain followed by about three months with none.

However, two relatively young trees (a Cox’s Orange Pippin and Bramley;s Seedling) started producing blossoms early in Autumn and these have now formed into small fruit. Is this common and what do I do about it, only one week away from the start of winter?

Will they continue to develop and compromise next Summer’s crop, should I pull the fruit off now, etc, etc?

Any advice is appreciated.