30 year old kit.

Andrew Backinsell

May 2, 2022, 2:42:33 PM5/2/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Interested in opinions; was handed a bag of accessories when picking up a large number of Demijohns this evening.  Of interest are a large number of airlocks and bungs as well as corks and other bits.  My wife is always telling me I should be wary of plastic breakdown over time.  Is it worth cleaning up the airlocks? They are around 25-30 years +? The bungs are pretty solid, how about rubber, does it degrade safely? Normally I would use the ‘well they’re so cheap to replace’ philosophy but I am using the demijohns for a community orchard event later this year and the accessories would save a few £ and it all counts! I would rather not chuck them if they are materially safe.

Best wishes Andy

Andrew Lea

May 2, 2022, 2:57:01 PM5/2/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I’d not worry so much about safety as functionality.

The polycarbonate airlocks are likely to crack and leak, while the “rubber” bungs are likely to become hard and no longer provide an effective seal in the demijohns.

I’d examine each one carefully and sling it out if you have any doubts.

YMMV.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad

On 2 May 2022, at 19:43, Andrew Backinsell <raymond...@gmail.com> wrote:

Interested in opinions; was handed a bag of accessories when picking up a large number of Demijohns this evening.  Of interest are a large number of airlocks and bungs as well as corks and other bits.  My wife is always telling me I should be wary of plastic breakdown over time.  Is it worth cleaning up the airlocks? They are around 25-30 years +? The bungs are pretty solid, how about rubber, does it degrade safely? Normally I would use the ‘well they’re so cheap to replace’ philosophy but I am using the demijohns for a community orchard event later this year and the accessories would save a few £ and it all counts! I would rather not chuck them if they are materially safe.

Best wishes Andy

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Andy Backinsell

May 3, 2022, 5:06:47 AM5/3/22