Perry Pear stock

Josh Denbeaux

May 17, 2022, 2:49:13 PMMay 17
to Cider Workshop
All,

I have been a member of the group for several years and have been reading and enjoying the emails and conversations.

For the past several years my wife and I have been working towards getting our own land, which we now have in upstate NY, zone 5/4.

I have been looking, without success, for a source for perry pear seedlings and year 1 trees.  Does anyone in the group have any for sale?  In previous years review of options were available, now all the orchards I see that had Perry Pears are sold out.

Looks like these pears are becoming very popular all of a sudden.

Thanks.

- Josh Denbeaux

Tomas

May 20, 2022, 6:28:44 PMMay 20
to Cider Workshop
Josh,
Since no one has chimed in to help, I will give it a shot.  You might be confusing others with your request for a source for perry "seedlings" since named perry varieties are propagated by grafting (cloning) onto rootstocks.  In this day in time the rootstocks themselves are generally named varieties cloned in stool beds, though pear seedlings are still used in some cases if full sized trees are desired.  Many nurseries propagate and sell perry pear trees, for instance Cummins Nursery in your state.  Most nurseries are sold out by this late in the Spring, though, so you will have to plan for next year.

AW

May 31, 2022, 6:24:45 PMMay 31
to Cider Workshop
Willamette Nurseries in Oregon has Bartlett seedlings as well as clonal rootstocks.