What are your favorite apples for growing and making Cider?

Charles Claus

May 8, 2024, 7:00:24 PMMay 8
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Imagine that you are a serious cider hobbyist that is downsizing, and plan to plant some proven apple trees in your context and make some decent cider, even though space is limited.

What would you plant, if you were limited to only 20 apple trees?

Which apple trees would you want to grow? Also, which apples make great cider in your context? Note: some of these trees may be biennial, yet you still want them on your list.

Choose a mix of English and European cider apples, plus other apple cultivars.

What do you like about these apple trees? What do you like about these apples and their ability to make cider?

Charles Claus

Robert West

May 9, 2024, 3:59:02 AMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

This is my selection:

Dabinett

Breakwells Seedling

Foxwhelp

Sweet Coppin

Sops In Wine

Balls Bittersweet

Brown Snout

Somerset Redstreak

Stoke Red

Michelin

Sheeps Nose

Frederick

Collington Big Bitters

Devon Red

Vilberie

Blanc Mollet

Kingston Black

Browns

Harry Masters Jersey

Improved Kingston Black

Robert West

Sent from Mail for Windows

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Charles Claus

May 9, 2024, 9:09:18 AMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert - Could you mention where you live, the growing zone and a bit about the area, is it coastal or desert  etc.

Charles

Claude Jolicoeur

May 9, 2024, 9:51:15 AMMay 9
to Cider Workshop
Le jeudi 9 mai 2024 à 09:09:18 UTC-4, Charles Claus a écrit :
Thanks Robert - Could you mention where you live, the growing zone and a bit about the area, is it coastal or desert  etc.

Charles, you raise here the main issue with your request...
One's list of favorite varieties is useless for you unless it would be in the same area where you live.
Actually, the first criteria should be: which varieties grow well where you are, and from there you may select those that will make the best cider.

Robert West

May 9, 2024, 10:05:12 AMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

Herefordshire, United Kingdom, clay soil.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Charles Claus

May 9, 2024, 10:32:16 AMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Claude,

While it is true that different varieties grow differently in different areas it is still very helpful to get an idea of what people are actually growing out there and making cider with as it does change and shift over time. New wild varieties are being discovered and released in North America on a regular basis. Old varieties once thought lost  are being rediscovered yet how are they actually working for people? And in some cases new apples developed for cider making are being released. For instance, I just grafted three cider apples from the UK, Ten Commandments, Three counties and Angela. The last two are more recent releases of East Malling Research Station.

 Yes, all these apples will grow differently in different climates however I for one will certainly wish to give something a try if it repeatedly pops up on someone's list of favorites. Disease pressures also shift which also cause people to revamp their lists of preferred cider apples.

Charles

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Albert Johnson

May 9, 2024, 1:14:48 PMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

If I may send in a quick reply - I'd like to encourage everyone to take a look at ourpomona.org - this is a crowd sourced digital Pomona where the intention of the database is to be useful to cidermakers, rather than merely as tools for identification.

At present Our Pomona is still early in its life and lacking data, but more submissions from around the world can lead us to having a very helpful archive of information on what varieties are esteemed and how they grow in different climates.

Cheers
Albert

Robert West

May 9, 2024, 1:19:10 PMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

Albert, that is and will be a really good resource. What a good idea.

When did it become active. I’m surprised I haven’t come across it before.

Thanks.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Albert Johnson

May 9, 2024, 1:21:23 PMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I commissioned it during COVID and we had it ready I think around mid 2021. I just haven't found the time to truly promote it and encourage its use! My software engineer friend I used is getting inspired by the recent uptake in interest and support for it so we're working on some new features and improvements, but all data submitted now is very very welcome!!

Cheers
Albert

Robert West

May 9, 2024, 1:27:38 PMMay 9
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

A really good project to have initiated during Covid.

How many contributors have you had so far?

All the best from north Herefordshire to south Herefordshire.

Robert

gareth chapman

May 28, 2024, 12:26:04 PMMay 28
to Cider Workshop
You can ask this question to 100 cider makers and get 100 different lists. One thing I would say is think about some multi purpose apples too as you will probably like some eaters/cookers and juicers too.
Personally I think there is one apple that deserves a place in any orchard and that's Ashmeads Kernel. Great eating flavour and texture, lovely juice and makes a half decent cider too