[Cider Workshop] Apple CIder Vinegar

Duncan Hewitt

Oct 15, 2021, 6:40:09 AM10/15/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I have a fermenting bin of cider from 2019 that I didn't get round to bottling last year, that has started to turn to vinegar, based on the taste alone. Rather than waste it,  I was thinking of allowing it to become vinegar - questions:

1) It is a natural ferment, and is currently a dry and quite potent cider with a slight vinegary taste. It's very possible oxygen got to it in 2020 as I do remember having to fill the airlock up. Is a wild yeast ferment okay for home-made cider vinegar?

2) It's currently in a 60 litre Speidel fermenter, should I transfer it to something else and, if I do, will the exposure to oxygen hinder or actually help the process?

3) Should I still airlock it, or should I expose it to the air by using a muslin cloth rather than airlock?

4) If I don't transfer it to another vessel to finish, will it in any way impact the current vessel for future cider making (thinking of residual bacteria that may be left behind)?

5) Assuming it all goes to plan, should I pasteurise the finished article before bottling? If so, can I boil it first to reduce it to something richer in flavour?

Thanks!
--
Duncan Hewitt
Merrybower Homestead

Andrew Lea

Oct 15, 2021, 7:14:27 AM10/15/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I think you’ll find most of the answers in my book or here http://www.cider.org.uk/part6.htm

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk

On 15 Oct 2021, at 11:38, Duncan Hewitt <dun...@merrybower.co.uk> wrote:

 I have a fermenting bin of cider from 2019 that I didn't get round to bottling last year, that has started to turn to vinegar, based on the taste alone. Rather than waste it,  I was thinking of allowing it to become vinegar - questions:
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Duncan Hewitt

Oct 15, 2021, 7:58:24 AM10/15/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrew, I have your book, I'll dig it out and have a read tonight!

Cheers,

Duncan