Apple Identification SW England

Paul Rolfe

Jul 21, 2021, 1:49:06 PM7/21/21
to Cider Workshop
Hi All

Does anyone know of a cider apple sleuth in the Southwest of England who could help in identifying cider apple varieties?  I know what I varieties I supposably have but not which trees are which.

I understand that Liz Copaz created an inventory here some years ago, but the previous owner could not find it or her contact details.

Kindest Regards

Paul

Andrew Lea

Jul 21, 2021, 3:18:05 PM7/21/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Suggest you buy a copy of Liz’s book https://www.vigopresses.co.uk/Catalogue/Books/Celebrating-Apples-and-Orchards/Book-Cider-Apples-the-New-Pomona-Copas-99011  so you can ID them yourself. If you already have their names this shouldn’t be too hard. Or see here http://www.cider.org.uk/identification.html

You can also get DNA profiling done via FruitID https://www.fruitid.com but I think it may have closed now for this season.

Andrew

——————————
Wittenham Hill Cider Page

On 21 Jul 2021, at 18:49, Paul Rolfe <paul....@appleisr.com> wrote:

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Paul Rolfe

Jul 22, 2021, 2:56:27 AM7/22/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Andrew.

The New Pomona was the first book I bought when I obtained the orchard.  I will give it a go.

Kindest Regards

Paul

--
Kindest Regards

Paul

Paul Rolfe

Mobile - 07897 855 323

Andy Backinsell

Oct 24, 2021, 5:19:19 PM10/24/21
to Cider Workshop
I am using the older edition, 'a Somerset Pomona;'  and slowly getting the hang of the distinctions.

Just in case; has anyone thought to put the identification 'filters' into a spreadsheet?  I wouldn't want to undertake this for all cider apples but the Somerset book is achievable!

I often find I can narrow it down to a few cultivars however by the time I start doubting my interpretation, I lose track! I'm thinking Dabinett for this one, but it could be any number of them really.

Did you get far with identification Paul?

Andy B

Ian Shields

Oct 24, 2021, 5:25:11 PM10/24/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Looks more like Harry Masters Jersey to me.

Ian

Andy Backinsell

Oct 24, 2021, 5:37:45 PM10/24/21
to Cider Workshop
Thanks Ian - I spent a while thinking HMJ too, was put off by 'bluish bloom' but re-reading it again there's loads of other characteristics that fit.  That's what I mean about the spreadsheet, might stop me getting lost an moving onto the next.

Andy

Gloria Bell

Oct 24, 2021, 6:49:37 PM10/24/21
to Cider Workshop
for some reason I am unable to view the photo or did I miss the link?

Andy Backinsell

Oct 25, 2021, 4:44:08 AM10/25/21
to Cider Workshop

Paul Rolfe

Oct 26, 2021, 8:43:33 AM10/26/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy

I managed to get several varieties identified by:
a) Speaking directly to Liz Copaz
b) Using the New Pomona book once the apples had fully ripened
c) Speaking to other local orchard owners
d) Posting photos of the apples on Instagram to lots of cider makers in the UK.

The Apples I have identified are:
Browns
Ellis Bitter
Dabinett
Morgan Sweet
Yarlington Mill
Michelin
Somerset Redstreak
Kingston Black

I still haven't found the Tremlits Bitter or Ashton Bitter.

I tried to use the identification tool here but with little success.

Regards

Paul

Vince Wakefield

Oct 26, 2021, 11:17:26 AM10/26/21