Campfield Budwood Source

David Lemieux

Jun 4, 2022, 2:52:25 AM6/4/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'm looking to expand my cider orchard next year with some Campfields and am wondering if anyone in Canada might be growing them (seems a little less common here).

Otherwise, I'm hoping to collect some budwood in WA and find out about importing on my end.

Looks like there was a discussion about this cultivar a couple years ago.

Thanks!

David Lemieux

Claude Jolicoeur

Jun 4, 2022, 11:00:12 AM6/4/22
to Cider Workshop
Whiffletree Nursery in Ontario had it although I don't remember seeing it in their last catalog.
You can probably ask for scion wood or to have a tree specially grafted for you.
See my web page for contact email and web site

Gloria Bell

Jun 4, 2022, 11:08:35 AM6/4/22
to Cider Workshop
I have experience with the variety and have it if you want to PM me.  Have over 100 varieties and I'm in Canada

Sara Boyd

Jun 4, 2022, 11:14:46 AM6/4/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
We also have a small number of Campfield in our orchard in PEC, Ontario.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2022, at 11:08, Gloria Bell <glo...@islandexpressionsphoto.com> wrote:

I have experience with the variety and have it if you want to PM me.  Have over 100 varieties and I'm in Canada
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

David Lemieux

Jun 4, 2022, 1:25:23 PM6/4/22
to Cider Workshop
Thanks you! I didn't see it on their catalogue, and was only coming up with American suppliers, but I'll be contacting them!

David Lemieux

Jun 4, 2022, 1:28:49 PM6/4/22
to Cider Workshop
Thank you very much for the expedient responses! I guess the follow-up questions is, how do you find it growing in your areas? It seems like a vigorous, productive cultivar that grows, maybe 'as a tree should', somewhat upright with sturdy branches and reasonably hardiness/resistance.

Gloria Bell

Jun 4, 2022, 5:31:11 PM6/4/22
to Cider Workshop
I am running mine as tall spindle on trellis on m9/b9.  Trees are of average growth, cropping and somewhat upright but I tie all limbs down.  With this supper wet winter after drought last summer (we are irrigated though), heat dome and hot cold hot cold spring, I've lost an other wise healthy campfield to anthracnose.  It leafed out and then died.  9' tall.  I'm going to say that this couple of super odd seasons is showing us which trees can manage it and which are shutting down or not waking up at all.
Fruit is softly tannic, fairly fruity and late in the season.  Some people online in the USA are stating that they are having troubles ripening it properly.  I was considering more campfield but going to hold off for now.