Faux Yarlington Mill

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2024, 11:50:08 AM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to Cider Workshop
Hi,

I planted several YM apple trees 4-5 years ago. One of them gave some fruits this year and I decided to keep them to see how it tasted.

This picture was taken on the first week of september. The apples are already showing signs of rot on the tree. I'm pretry sure this is a "faux" YM or just another apple variety.

Could someone that are aware of the look/behavior of the faux YM tell me if my feeling is right?

I'll probably top graft these apple trees next year, unfortunately.

Thank you,

Louis
20240903_190556.jpg

Wes Cherry

Sep 25, 2024, 12:21:26 PM (12 days ago) Sep 25
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
There’s a Gnarlington Mill here in the US sold as YM.   It’s an early sharp that drops/rots.   It is more yellow/red striped and doesn’t look much like your apples tho.  It may be a variety called Yellow Redstreak.

After 10 or so years the tree keeps the fruit and it makes a decent cider.   Before that it is no more than malic to balance our early high ph apples

-'//es Cherry
Dragon's Head Cider
Vashon Island, Wa US

On Sep 25, 2024, at 8:50 AM, luis.ga...@gmail.com <luis.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

<20240903_190556.jpg>

gareth chapman

Sep 26, 2024, 4:02:44 AM (12 days ago) Sep 26
to Cider Workshop
I would be a bit more patient. First year fruit isn't necessarily a good indication of the long term characteristics

O K

Sep 26, 2024, 5:41:02 AM (12 days ago) Sep 26
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Agreed re patience. I’m in year 6 of waiting for my Stoke Red to start! Also, did I read somewhere, that some rootstocks can be slower than others, in bringing trees into fruit production?

Olly

gareth chapman

Sep 26, 2024, 7:42:19 AM (12 days ago) Sep 26
to Cider Workshop
yes very much so the more vigorous the rootstock the longer before bearing fruit. a fully dwarf rootstock could produce in year 3, whereas a full vigour standard tree might not bear fruit for up to 7 years plus depending on variety.