Disgorging

Mark Warnett

Aug 26, 2024, 10:39:15 AMAug 26
to Cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I'm going to have a go at disgorging some sparkling cider made in the traditional method (2021 harvest). Too much yeast sediment.

A couple of questions and views very welcome

1. What would a conventional dosage be made of?

2. I'm thinking to try adding a dosage of 2 year old, stable, keeved cider. What might happen? Risk of refermentation from live yeast in keeved cider (although won't be much and 2 years old now). Won't be enough sugar?

Cheers

Mark

gareth chapman

Aug 27, 2024, 3:52:50 AMAug 27
to Cider Workshop
Liqueur de dosage is made as a sugar syrup, it shouldn't referment normally as the yeast should a) be disgorged and b)be fully  autolysed if the secondary fermentation has been rested for long enough. the problem you might have is that whilst the keeved cider might be stable, this is probably due to nutrient deficiency and some yeast might be dormant rather than actually dead and there might be sufficient nutrient in your met trad cider to re start the fermentation.
The question is do you actually need a dosage in the cider, what does it taste  like(dosage is added to Champagne because of the high acidity levels from unripe grapes, we just blend our met trad for less acidity than we used to(although it is above that of our standard ciders, at around 11g/l malic and we use the secondary fermentation process to mellow it).
Obvious other option is just  to suck it and see. Quantities needed will depend on the acidity of the original cider, sugar content  of the keeved cider/desired acidity. Then take into account how much extra carbonation you will get if it does referment. I would also take some pre and post addition SG readings to further understand the success or otherwise of the process.
Another option is to add your dosage and pasteurise.