Orchard - a year in England's Eden (Book) - SO good!

Tom Bugs

Aug 27, 2021, 5:17:44 AM8/27/21
to Cider Workshop

Who else has read this glorious book? I think it brings up all sorts of interesting & vital questions around our focus on cider production!

I'd had it 'on my radar' for a while - thinking it'd be about cider & orcharding - but it turns out to be much more nature focused (no surprise as the two authors are naturalists) - there are all manner of joyous bits about the animals & ecosystems. Things like the sweet tooth of blue tits, how jays may purposefully forget acorns - it really opens up so many new areas for someone already fascinated by the produce & history of orchards.

The vital side - the richness of habitat, how important it is not to be too prim & tidy, the long timeframes, how much has been lost in looking for pure productivity, the knock-on impacts of over usage of insecticides, etc etc.

As keen producers, looking for quality fruit (flourishing from a strong ecosystem!) and, perhaps, with a love of the special spaces that are increasingly rare.. I strongly feel that cider producers can take a lot to heart from this book and start, slowly, working to save the wonder of old orchards!

9780008333737-uk.jpg

Duncan Hewitt

Aug 27, 2021, 6:34:34 AM8/27/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I only get a broken link to an image - what book is it? Sounds interesting!
Duncan Hewitt
Merrybower Homestead
07941 905796
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Tom Bugs

Aug 27, 2021, 6:59:46 AM8/27/21
to Cider Workshop
A sorry, I can see the picture I attached to the posting, but maybe that isn't universal!

The book is called "Orchard - A Year in England's Eden" by Benedict Macdonald & Nicholas Gates.
https://harpercollins.co.uk/products/orchard-a-year-in-englands-eden-benedict-macdonaldnicholas-gates?variant=32795032289358

John Were

Aug 29, 2021, 1:05:49 PM8/29/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

Yep, this book is amazing. We've just taken on a small, neglected orchard in Somerset UK and I look at it completely differently having read this. I'm going to be leaving unproductive dying trees in, bramble patches, dead wood on trees and generally doing what I can to manage it for wildlife and biodiversity as well as cider apple cropping. Maybe this is the touch I need to get a medal at the Bath and West where I got, err, nothing again this year!

"Rebirding" by the same author is also great. Polemical but great. Sits nicely alongside "Wilding".

Alan Stone

Sep 1, 2021, 5:04:28 AM9/1/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

I don't seem to be able to find the invoice for the cider for the B&W

Please could you send me an email with name address - Bacs and amount - made out to Bath and West Shows

many thanks

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Steilhead Cider

Sep 1, 2021, 3:40:20 PM9/1/21
to Cider Workshop

Just finished reading it!  An excellent, insightful, informative, inspiring and slightly alarming book, beautifully written.  Those chaps must have spent weeks and weeks in that orchard.

Tom Bugs

Sep 2, 2021, 5:52:46 AM9/2/21
to Cider Workshop
Great!
Yeah, the slow & watchful approach - I'd love to be able to do it, but know myself a bit too ;)
I find all sorts of internal conflict between deeply instilled 'tidyness' battling against both the wish for less trying to control everything and the understanding that natural 'chaos' is wonderful & rich. I want to move both fast & slow - balance, as always, is the key!
But, yes, so very eye-opening!