cider vinegar clarification

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2022, 8:57:24 PM7/3/22
to Cider Workshop
Hi,

I make one or two batch of vinegar every year. For the first time, this year, one of my batch is hazy. I am wondering if something went wrong.

Is a vinegar made with unclarified cider hazy? Most if not all the cider I make (including the one used for vinegar) is clear, so I don't think this is the reason.

Also, is there a way to fix this?

On the picture attached, the vinegar on the right is from a previous batch, while the one on the left is from last batch.

Thank you,

Louis
P1040825.JPG

Andrew Lea

Jul 10, 2022, 1:08:24 PM7/10/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Just because your vinegar is hazy doesn’t mean anything went seriously wrong.  It could be polyphenol (tannin) polymerisation or could be renewed growth of acetobacter.

The simplest way for the amateur to fix it is by fining. Use a two-part fining like gelatin / bentonite (old fashioned) or kieselsol / chitosan (more modern).  Check out a winemaking store for these.

To avoid this in the future, you could perhaps think about pasteurising your vinegar or using SO2 when you bottle it.

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Page

On 4 Jul 2022, at 01:58, luis.ga...@gmail.com <luis.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

P1040825.JPG

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2022, 11:33:37 AM7/15/22
to Cider Workshop
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response. I'll try one or more of the methods suggested. If I add SO2 now, should  I expect clarification of these bottles (since the acetobacter is killed) or not necessarely?

Louis

Andrew Lea

Jul 16, 2022, 8:45:39 AM7/16/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
No it’s too late to add SO2 now.  It only works to prevent bacterial growth or oxidative polymerisation.  Once those things have already happened, they cannot be reversed by using SO2.

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Page

On 15 Jul 2022, at 16:34, luis.ga...@gmail.com <luis.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Andrew,