Asturia Sidra Itinerary

Andy Andy Frogy

Jun 20, 2022, 3:21:17 PMJun 20
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I'm struggling to find info about a Sidra Route in Asturias as there is no map similar with the Cider Route in Herefordshire.
I'm asking for some suggestions and ideas of what should be visit in Asturias in reference with the Sidra industry.

Thank you.

Miguel Pereda

Jun 20, 2022, 7:39:53 PMJun 20
to Cider Workshop

John Bunker

Jun 21, 2022, 8:19:34 AMJun 21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Asturias trip:

In 2017 we spent a month in the Basque country and Asturias.  It was wonderful. Highly recommended.  We researched the trip by asking anyone we knew where they went. We also improvised along the way.  We could probably put together a list of cideries we visited if that might be useful.

John Bunker
central Maine

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Andy Andy

Jun 21, 2022, 12:40:32 PMJun 21
to Cider Workshop
Thank you Miguel for the link.

John it would be great if you could list your itinerary.

Regards.

dick kirk

Jun 21, 2022, 8:46:49 PMJun 21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I had a nice visit to PETRITEGI cidery, on the coast. I found it hard to find cideries, and the Basques I talked to indicated Sidra was on a downturn.
Dick Kirk

j...@joebarfield.com

Jun 22, 2022, 5:32:53 AMJun 22
to Cider Workshop

When searching for cideries, search for the word llagar or llagares. Sidrerias are cider bars.

I have a fondness for Llagar JR, Llagar Castañon, and El Duque. Each is completely different in size and feel. El Duque is a restaurant with a compact and interesting cidery in the cellar. I had never seen a conical pyramid before. It's also just a short walk away from the amazing botanical gardens (recommended).

https://sidradeasturias.es/en/  is the website for the Asturias DOP. It appears to have more information about the highest standards of apples and ciders for the region than I can review right now. There is a beautiful collection of photos and technical descriptions of the region's traditional apples.

j...@joebarfield.com

Jun 22, 2022, 6:16:08 AMJun 22
to Cider Workshop

https://www.lasidra.as/en/home/ is a wonderful resource. It is a dizzying collection of past and current events and other information. This is the online version of the beautiful La Sidra bimonthly magazine.

LaSidra.as has the most comprehensive and easiest-to-navigate event calendar listing festivals and other events. Go straight to the calendar image in the right column and click on the date to see all the events and details for the day. Don't click on the Events tab. That's for past stuff (still interesting).

La Sidra is also the host for the SISGA International Hall of Gala Ciders. The 12th edition has been announced for September 29- October 2. I will attempt to attach event and entry information below. It is a free competition and quite the cultural experience. They will put you up in a hotel for 2 nights, and take you to amazing cideries, cider bars and Asturian barbeques (espiche).

[More information on SISGA will be provided in a standalone conversation to follow shortly]

j...@joebarfield.com

Jun 22, 2022, 6:26:13 AMJun 22
to Cider Workshop

Another resource is https://ciderlands.org/destinations/asturias/. Ciderlands.org is "The International Network of Cider Culture and Tourism Destinations." They have sections on 10 regions including Galicia, Basque, and Asturias. Also Germany, Norway and 5 areas in the UK.

"Ciderlands, the International Cider Destinations Network, was founded in September 2018, during the International Cider Culture and Tourism Meet-up held by Sagardoaren Lurraldea in the Basque Country.

The meetings were attended by Hans Weiss (MostBarone, Austria), Andreas Purt (Moststraße, Austria), Helen and Philip Troughton (Visit Armagh & Armagh Cider Company, Northern Ireland), Elizabeth Pimblett and Gabe Cook (Hereford Cider Museum & The Ciderologist, England), Andy Black (Visit Herefordshire, England), Susanna Forbes (Little Pomona & Drink Britain), Sally Perks and Jayne Hunt (Welsh Perry and Cider Society & Orchards Wales, Wales), Michael Stöckl (Cider World Frankfurt, Germany), Asbjørn Børsheim (Frukt og Siderruta and Ulvik & Hardanger Cider Producers, Norway), Miguel Ángel Naredo (Comarca de la Sidra, Asturias), Jesús Armenteros (Feira da Sidra & Sidra Ribela, Galicia), Jennifer Scouarnec (Cidref & Cidrerie de Rozavern, Brittany), Joxe Mari Alberro (Sagardoaren Lurraldea, Basque Country) and Leire Alkorta (Sagardoetxea Cider Museum, Basque Country), as well as Haritz Rodriguez (aka Ciderzale, head of international relations of Sagardoaren Lurraldea and director at Barking Blogs) who was in charge of leading the meeting."

Old Spot

Jun 22, 2022, 8:01:44 AMJun 22
to Cider Workshop
We spent 2 weeks in Asturias/Euskadi in August (high holiday season) and visited a few sidra related venues….  A few questions and comments:

- What dates do you plan to visit? There are several festivals that might form the basis of an itinerary.
- Do you speak Spanish? I do not believe we encountered a tour or a maker where Spanish language wasn’t helpful. I speak Spanish, so this was not a barrier. Perhaps others could comment on the language requirements to really get the most out of the visits.
- We took the standard tour at Sidra Cortina. It was a good tour, but certainly geared toward the general public. The sweet tour guide was amused by the oddly technical nature of my questions shouted from the back by a foreigner (only one on the tour). We later had a more in-depth conversation and she answered a lot of my questions on the local cider culture.
- Thru our hotelier, we learned of a small artisanal maker who seemed a little confused by our sudden appearance at his doorstep, but with a little chit chat and expressed enthusiasm, the full force of Spanish hospitality soon kicked in and a great time was had. Letting him know I was planning on buying many bottles also didn’t hurt.
- This tour was beyond extraordinary. Truly a highlight of a lifetime of travel. https://www.rutalquesuylasidra.com. Probably the most immersive of experiences without Spanish language skills… Several others on the tour spoke some English and were happy to practice with us during dinner (wife not a speaker.) Conviviality reigned!
- Peruse this publication. Lots of information to take away…. https://www.lasidra.as/category/la-sidra-as/revista-as/

Argh…. Writing this makes me really want to return for another visit…. Or even better, a long term stay.

Andy Andy

Jun 28, 2022, 12:30:19 PMJun 28
to Cider Workshop
Started my research for the itinerary, but I only see big Sidra Llagar. Are there any small producers? There isn't a define route for visiting the Sidra Mills, I'm talking about a printed map.

dick kirk

Jun 29, 2022, 1:30:35 PMJun 29
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
For a small cidery, try Petritegi, near San Sebastian. A bit hard to get to, but interesting.
Dick Kirk

Andy Andy

Jun 29, 2022, 2:04:25 PMJun 29
to Cider Workshop
Dick thanks but Petritegi is in the Basque country.

Edu V Coto

Jun 29, 2022, 2:13:21 PMJun 29
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Petritegi is one of the biggest producers from Basque Country…but doesn’t mind it’s bad. In fact it’s quite good.

If you go to Basque Country you don’t need a cider tour as most of producers are settled around Astigarraga, a village close to San Sebastian.

In Asturias it’s probably more tricky as you can find cider mills in different areas.

I would visit El Gaitero, Trabanco, Castañon…and then you can go to cider pubs (Sidrerías) just in Gijon there are more than 200…and you will be able to taste cider from different producers and eat local food.

https://www.rutalquesuylasidra.com is a good choice. Also a great place to visit is El Cuchareru in Nueva de Llanes, a garage cidermaker with a gourmet shop and small restaurant. He has small production but it’s kind of cider passionate!

I will be around 👍

Message has been deleted

ciderman

Jun 29, 2022, 2:56:15 PMJun 29
to Cider Workshop
A Friday or Saturday evening in the town square of Gijon is a must.  The streets will flow with cider. (at least literally a trickle)
San Sebastian and Nava also great cider towns.  likewise all of Edu's suggestions prior are great.
Mike in the middle of Michigan - USA

Andy Andy

Jun 29, 2022, 7:28:44 PMJun 29
to Cider Workshop
Thank you Edu and Mike.

For Ovideo do you have any suggestions?

Miguel A. Pereda

Jun 30, 2022, 2:04:04 AMJun 30
to Cider Workshop
Visit Gascona Street. It is full of sidrerías and they call it the Cider Boulevard.
Miguel A. Pereda

Andy Andy

Jun 30, 2022, 2:01:33 PMJun 30
to Cider Workshop
Thank you Miguel, is there any Sideria preferred by locals? :)

Miguel A. Pereda

Jul 3, 2022, 9:31:59 AMJul 3
to Cider Workshop
All of them are good and all of them offer great food and sidra.

Robin Fraser

Jul 16, 2022, 1:22:49 PMJul 16
to Cider Workshop
Hi Andy,

I’m a little late to the party here, but if you’re still looking for inspiration, one of the best sidra experience I had in Asturias was when my wife and I stumbled across the Villaviciosa Sidra Festival, which takes place the first Sunday in September.  Villaviciosa is a small town in the heart of Asturian sidra country, and the festival takes place in the town square, brining together about 20 local producers who each set up a stall and pour as much sidra as you can drink.  Everyone just has to buy a glass at the entrance for about 5 euro, and you’re free to wander around tasting each different one.  Lovely atmosphere, live music, highly recommended.  I know it’s not a visit to an actual mill, but it’s definitely worth adding to your itinerary if you can swing it.

Robin

Andy Andy

Jul 17, 2022, 6:52:58 AMJul 17
to Cider Workshop