For those that grow Kingston Black - Does rootstock help with short stems?

Gloria Bell

Jun 4, 2024, 3:11:09 AMJun 4
to Cider Workshop
I have a number of Kingston Black trees, mostly on dwarfing stock that are producing and my semi dwarfd on m111 and b118 have not shared fruit yet.  On M9, b9 and m26 the apples have the shortest stems and actually pop themselves off before they are ripe EVEN when I thin them to one apple per whirl.  If I don't thin I won't get any semi ripe fruit at all.
Rootstock can influence some traits in the apples and wondering if anyone has found any magical combo that creates longer stems and I can properly crop and ripen fruit.
Trees that are cropping are about 6-7 years old.
I may try top working to some native craps with long stems to see if there's any change.

Thanks in advance.

Nick MacLean

Jun 4, 2024, 3:48:55 AMJun 4
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Interesting! I’ve got a few KB on G890 going on their 3rd summer in ground. No fruit yet, but the internode distance seems a bit tighter than some other apples. So far, it seems beneficial in my area with our intense dry and hot summers (Columbia river gorge).

Nick
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Gloria Bell

Jun 4, 2024, 10:34:46 AMJun 4
to Cider Workshop
Thanks Nick.
Ya they do that too.  I learned to never summer prune KB as they biforcate in 3 or three then send fruit at that junction with tight angles and the following year the fruit it all piles up in one area.  Gets crowded with fruit and leaves which makes things worse and bugs love it too.

On Tuesday, June 4, 2024, Gloria Bell <glo...@islandexpressionsphoto.com> wrote:
I have a number of Kingston Black trees, mostly on dwarfing stock that are producing and my semi dwarfd on m111 and b118 have not shared fruit yet.  On M9, b9 and m26 the apples have the shortest stems and actually pop themselves off before they are ripe EVEN when I thin them to one apple per whirl.  If I don't thin I won't get any semi ripe fruit at all.
Rootstock can influence some traits in the apples and wondering if anyone has found any magical combo that creates longer stems and I can properly crop and ripen fruit.
Trees that are cropping are about 6-7 years old.
I may try top working to some native craps with long stems to see if there's any change.

Thanks in advance.

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Peter Dowd

Jun 4, 2024, 12:41:01 PMJun 4
to Cider Workshop
Last year I top grafted KB onto a wild thorny crab with long stems and tiny berry sized apples. I did a bit of pruning this year but was planning on letting it grow until the grafts are solid and then pruning from there. I haven't done anything like this before, I'm just winging it. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated since I top grafted more of the same crabs with various varieties this spring.
The photo is from May 4th 2024.
Pete

IMG_0972.jpeg

Nick MacLean

Les Price

Gloria Bell

Gloria Bell

Jun 7, 2024, 2:07:41 AMJun 7
to Cider Workshop
Mine start dropping well before they are ready - 3-4 weeks as they grow and pop themselves off (shoulders are higher than the stem length).  Not really usable fruit.  I wish it was only a week prior to harvest!   I'm trimming out the shortest of stemmed fruit now but it's significant work.   Interesting on m26.  I think the local orchard has them on m26 too and they get decent crops to maturity.  Trying b118 and I do have one on M26 in the front - I'll be watching it this year and years to come as it really starts to put on fruit.  Thanks!

Bartek Knapek

Jun 7, 2024, 2:48:58 AMJun 7
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

I share the same expecience on KB forking after pruning.
I learned to handle it with taking away whole selected branches, rather than cutting them shorter.

What is your expecience on the amount of crop?
My KB is 8yo, on vigorous rootstock, and still produces far more wood than apples.
A nearby Dabinett, 7yo, same rootstock, produces 3-5 times more fruits...

//Bartek