Fine press cloth PP material, where to find?

Juho Anttila

May 3, 2022, 3:46:29 AM5/3/22
to Cider Workshop
I'am trying to find fine cloth material to make new press cloths to my pack press.

Earlier i bought it from Vigo Ltd (Great-britain) but after Brexit they don't ship anymore to outside of their country.

Does anybody know what is excatly this material, and can i find it somewhere from Europe?

scott heath

May 3, 2022, 10:41:33 AM5/3/22
to Cider Workshop
Here in the states, a great solution is "polyester poplin", which is a very common material for rental tablecloths here. It is durable and cheap and has a fine weave yet lets a lot of juice through too. I highly recommend if you can find it there.

Scott

jeff.k...@gmail.com

May 3, 2022, 1:47:47 PM5/3/22
to Cider Workshop
I use curtain material from IKEA.  Never had any issues with it, and it is dirt cheap.

/Jeff

Andy Andy

May 3, 2022, 2:54:43 PM5/3/22
to Cider Workshop
Jeff which one exactly?

Thanks.

Juho Anttila

May 4, 2022, 2:56:12 AM5/4/22
to Cider Workshop
I found similar poplin fabrics here. Have you meen using 100% polyester or 65%-35% (cotton) or 80%-20%? And how heavy you have been using (g/m^2)? Thanks already!

jeff.k...@gmail.com

May 4, 2022, 4:40:35 AM5/4/22
to Cider Workshop
The white ones.  :-).  Seriously, I have no idea.

I bought them a couple of years ago when I realized that it was cheaper to buy IKEA curtains than it was to buy similar fabric on a per-m2 basis.

I just looked for a white cotton fabric with a tight weave that looked reasonably robust.   Then I washed them a couple of times in 95 degree water to leach out anything that was going to leach and cut them to size.  I hemmed some and didn't bother with others.  They are all still fine.  After each use I just throw them in the washing machine at 95 degrees again.

Andy Andy

May 4, 2022, 8:35:57 AM5/4/22
to Cider Workshop
I would use bed sheets 100% cotton. If you want PP you can even use woven polypropylene sacks but just think microplastisc ending in the juice.

gareth chapman

May 9, 2022, 8:20:24 AM5/9/22
to Cider Workshop
we use 80% shade netting, ours are in their 6 or 7th year, still got a lifetimes worth left on the roll. Jetwash them clean and then a quick hurley through the washing machine.

MARTIN CAMPLING

May 10, 2022, 3:19:10 AM5/10/22
to Cider Workshop
I use garden shade netting too. It's very strong and lasts for years. The only issue is that my EHO isn't happy because it isn't classed as "food grade".

gareth chapman

May 10, 2022, 4:51:27 AM5/10/22
to Cider Workshop
That is totally bonkers ask them what they think the food safety or hygiene  risk is. It is just HDPE after all.
My EHO took hardly any interest in my pre-fermentation process.