Adjusting acid

Zacharias Erså

Sep 12, 2021, 12:37:24 PM9/12/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I have a quick question regarding acid adjustments. We pressed this years first fruit today, and generally we’re seeing higher sugar content and pH compared to the last three years. Since we’re exclusively using dessert apples at the moment, this is of course great news for our cider. It does seems like it could be a problem for our “perry” however. Like our cider, it’s based on some sort of dessert fruit.

STATS

Press yield: 58%
Sugar content: 16 Brix/1.065 SG
TA: 2.5 g/L malic
pH: 3.9

So I guess this constitutes a pH problem? This is a completely new problem to me as we’re generally in the 3.1-3.3 range. Unfortunately I don’t have Claude’s book with me, but I saw that Andrew recommends adjusting if pH is over 3.8.

I added 100 ppm sulfite and transferred the juice to a freezer to hopefully preserve it somewhat before inoculation.

My first instinct is to blend, but I’d really like it to be 100% pear and our regular apple cider clocked in at 3.5 pH and 5 g/L malic so I don’t have that much acid hanging around regardless. I’ll search the neighborhood for more pears tomorrow, but assuming I won’t find any I guess I’m looking at an artificial acid adjustment.

QUESTIONS

1. I don’t have access to malic acid right now. Could lactic be an option? If so, I guess I should avoid MLF with further sulfite and lower temperature?
2. What pH do you aim for?

Thankful for all the help I can get!

Zacharias
--
//Z

gareth chapman

Sep 12, 2021, 3:25:00 PM9/12/21
to Cider Workshop
I would just add a tad of malic acid when you get it, particularly as you currently have the juice frozen. Though to be honest I wouldn't fret too much and up the sulfite to 200ppm

rkreev...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2021, 4:44:31 PM9/13/21
to Cider Workshop
I try to adjust my juice to ~ 3.6 before yeasting and again to ~3.6 or therabouts after fermentation. Works pretty well in my situation. I routinely deal with juice pH's of 3.9 to 4.2.

Gloria Bell

Sep 13, 2021, 7:09:19 PM9/13/21
to Cider Workshop
I agree with the immediate above post.  I do the same.  3.6 pH is my target.

With pears, they really lose their flavour at high pH and then there is the threat of MLF which I'm not a fan of in pears.  Pears have a fair amount of citric acid and MLF turns that to acetic acid.  Just a heads up there.  I suppose if you are drinking it right after fermentation then it's ok but I like to age a year.

Also if you amend acid early, it actually integrates better into the flavour then if you were to add it later.  I often do small amendments later as need too.

Just my .02

Zacharias Erså

Sep 14, 2021, 4:30:21 AM9/14/21
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Great, I’ll aim for 3.6 pre ferment. Was able to get my hands on some quite acidic plum sized pears. If I remember my stoichiometry right, I should be able to reach 3.6 by blending, otherwise I’ll adjust with lactic pre ferment and malic/citric post.

I’ll probably reserve a portion of the juice for a warmer ferment on the lees, attempting a Chardonnay style apple wine utilizing MLF, bâtonnage and probably some American oak. The citric acid should provide ample pre cursors for diacetyl which may or may not work out favorably. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep VA in check.

Gloria: Do you find the pears still lacking in flavor after pH adjustment? I intend to keep it at least a year, wouldn’t a fully dry, 3.6 pH cider with 50 ppm free SO2 be shelf stable enough?

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

//Z