Asian Pear Varieties Best for Perry?

thepgr...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2020, 11:19:50 AM9/15/20
to Cider Workshop
I've heard that some Asian pears can make a good perry. Does anyone have experience with this and know which pears might offer the best chances of success with a single variety?

Locally, these asian pears grow well: 20th Century, Shinseiki, New Arirang, Hosui, Naju.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

jim gerlach

Sep 16, 2020, 1:02:49 PM9/16/20
to Cider Workshop
I would suggest that how the pears are grown and handled is critical to make decent perry with Asian Pears. We grow over 10 varieties in the maritime Pacific Northwest. Our soils are well drained sand and gravel and very dry in the summer. We are south-west facing so we get decent heat and are at a relatively high in elevation in relation to the proximity of the sound. Just finishing picking the early varieties this week. Having them tree ripened is important to get the maximum sugar and aromatics. They are extremely delicate and must be hand picked and handled carefully. Fruit thinning is also important since many varieties will grow golf ball sized fruit that ripens too early, doesn't develop flavor and is more susceptible to insect damage.  It's nice to get later ripening so we have cooler nights for a decent diurnal shift to build up as much acidity as we can get but most often the early season Asian pears are blended with seedling or perry varieties in order to get enough acid.  The later season pears need a period of maturation in cool (not cold) storage to develop the best character. We ofter pick the latest variety in November and press it in January.

We ferment "dry" but there is a nice residual sweetness from the un-fermentable sugars. Levels of sorbitol etc can range widely each year and may be influenced by length of time maturing off the tree. Expect something relatively light and delicate between 6.5 and 7% abv. Supposedly Asian pears keeve well.

Most commercially available fruit is grown for large size so it is crunchy and watery with low levels of sugar and non existent acidity. Almost all of it is completely unsuitable for perry making. We have had the best results with Nejisseiki for early season, Chojuro for mid-season and Korean Giants and Immamura Aki for late season.

Jim Gerlach
Nashi Orchards

thepgr...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2021, 9:38:54 PM9/10/21
to Cider Workshop
Jim,
It's been a year, but I wanted to say thanks for all of the excellent information you provided in your previous response. I live in Central Washington, so am hoping to make it out to your location once travel is a bit more normalized.

This season I was able to get my hands on some Nejisseiki from a neighboring orchard, after you mentioned you had good success with it. I just picked it today and while I don't have much experience with asian pears, the deep yellow coloring makes me think it is extremely ripe - although at first bite it is still quite crisp and juicy. I'm thinking of pressing them within the next two weeks.

And finally to my questions:
1. As this is my first attempt, do you have any advice on which yeast I should start with?
2. I have a neighbor who has Hosui and so I might also be able to get my hands on that variety. Any experience to share on Hosui?

Thanks again for all of your insight!