Speidel Bulkhead failures - any alternatives?

Tom Bugs

May 9, 2022, 9:17:36 AM5/9/22
to Cider Workshop
Hi all,

I've used a fair few of the orange bulkhead whatnots from Speidel (via Vigo) but have encountered a fair few failures where the inner part has snapped below the thread. I just now noticed another had broken.. obviously it poses quite a risk of air getting in to cider batches and the whole thing is frustrating because they're not exactly cheap when you factor in VAT and postage.

Has anyone else encountered this? I don't think I'm doing anything obviously wrong with them...

Alongside, has anyone got any suggestions of similars for using the large bubblers? I got a few black ones quite recently from some UK source (must dig to find out where..) but those don't come with screw on caps which can be useful at times.

Cheers, Tom

IMG_20220509_140741.jpg

Ray Blockley

May 9, 2022, 9:28:27 AM5/9/22
to Workshop-Cider
Hi Tom.

That's a new one to me & I've been using those for over 20 years now and have 32 of those adapters in use.
The only failures with those we've had is with the large flange of the inner component cracking when the lid of the fermenter domes under pressure & we had the cap screwed on tight - but that was overcome by siting the bulkhead adapter nearer the edge of the lid where less deformation occurs?

Dodgy batch? Or could it be a case of overtightening..?

Ray
Nottingham

Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Tom Bugs

May 9, 2022, 11:53:21 AM5/9/22
to Cider Workshop
Cheers Ray.
Hmm - yes, I wonder if over-tightening could be the issue, though I'm not going in too hard.. just firm tightening by hand.
I think it is over a couple of different batches I've had from Vigo because I've had a handful of failures over the last 5ish years.

Alan Stone

May 9, 2022, 11:56:21 AM5/9/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Here here - never had any trouble my self

Carmen Gray, Elemental Cider, NZ

May 9, 2022, 3:48:32 PM5/9/22
to Cider Workshop
I had two fail this year!  5 years old.  Plastic just sheared off at the join.  I wonder if its a design issue.  Always have a couple of spares on hand now....

Neil & Jo Anderson

May 12, 2022, 5:05:22 PM5/12/22
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Yes us too! Not the spender ones just the white ones w the marble had one go this year.

Jo & Neil Anderson
027 2729091
@hairyhorsecider