Keeve success

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2021, 9:42:59 AM11/17/21
to Cider Workshop
I did two keeve batch this year. One worked as expected while the other didn't work. After two weeks, some white foam was observed on the top of the vessel which indicated the fermentation had started (lost of 3 points of density). The gel had formed and it looked like it just refused to float and compact.

Initial TA was around 5 and SG 1,053.

I am wondering if my slightly lower than expected SG could be responsible for this (I think a SG of 1,055 + is recommended).

Thank you,

Louis

Claude Jolicoeur

Nov 17, 2021, 8:09:21 PM11/17/21
to Cider Workshop
It is not easy to identify the exact reasons why one keeve is successful while another fails!
Among the possible reasons:
- could be the apples don't contain as much pectin - did you make an alcohol test on the juices of both batches to compare?
- did you macerate the pulp for both?
- it can be the SGs and/or TAs
- anything else you did differently between both batches?
For sure it is important to keep good notes as this may help in identifying the problem when it arises.

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2021, 2:19:07 PM11/18/21
to Cider Workshop

I didn't do the alcohol test. I did it in the past but I stopped doing it because there is no clear guidelines on the minimal amount of pectin nessesary for the keeve to work (it's a qualitative test). If I had more experience with it I might understand better how to interpret the result. Also, the variety used had been used in the previous years, so I tought it could be keevable again but I understand that pectin content can vary from year to year.

Pulp had been macerated (in both cases) for 2-3 hours before pressing.

The gel formed, but the cap never rose. I'm still a beginner on this technique but my impression is that pectic is not the main  problem in this case. I understand reason for failure are not easy to point out. Having a low acidity (around 5 in both cases) with the addition of 400 ppm CaCl2, I am thinking the SG is more likely to be the problem (cap unable to float).

Louis

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2021, 8:08:49 PM11/19/21
to Cider Workshop
Here is a photo of the cider in it's carboy. It looks like things are improving - maybe I have racked a bit soon.

Louis

P1040789.JPG

Claude Jolicoeur

Nov 19, 2021, 11:02:11 PM11/19/21
to Cider Workshop
I've seen such pectic clouds before. Don't worry. Just let the cider do its thing and when time will come to rack, the pectic cloud will dismantle itself while going through the siphon and will settle in the bottom of the tank.

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2021, 11:21:54 PM11/19/21
to Cider Workshop
Ok.

Do you think there is any chance that this pectic cloud get more compact and that the cider under could be racked off, like a keeve?

Claude Jolicoeur

Nov 19, 2021, 11:48:32 PM11/19/21
to Cider Workshop
I don't think it will, but it is also possible.
I'd say the most importanty is to monitor the FSU and see if necessary to rack - often no other racking is necessary until the fermentation is done.

luis.ga...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2021, 12:24:36 AM11/25/21
to Cider Workshop
At the end, the pectic mass did compact to a more or less compact thing on the top (2-3 in thick) and I have been able to rack it off the hat with little pectic chunk in the new carboy. I think I have been a bit impatient and I have racked my keeve way  too soon....

Louis