Bottling with robust beer bottles

Matthew F.

Oct 22, 2021, 9:19:13 AM10/22/21
to Cider Workshop
In Pennsylvania, Straub pint bottles are reusable and are made of a thicker glass more similar to a champagne bottle than their 12oz recyclable cousins.

In using these Straub bottles I'm wondering if I can bottle condition using the same sugar recommendation as a champagne bottle (Claude recommends 12g/L), or if I should stick to the regular beer bottle recommendation of 6g/L.

I don't understand if it's simply the thickness of the glass that comes into play or if it is also the shape of the champagne bottle that allows for more carbonation.

john pantling

Nov 7, 2021, 3:17:22 PM11/7/21
to Cider Workshop
I have only just started making cider but I wanted it to be properly sparkling. I have used three different bottle types so far proper  1  bouche cider bottles 2 Belgian style beer bottles and 3 swing top style beer bottles . All were primed with standard household kitchen dry sugar at a rate of 10g/l without any issues and the cider I have got has been very dry but nicely carbonated. All of these bottles have been converted to swing top style except of course the ones that were already swing top. The thickness of the glass is the thing that gives the bottle its resistance to the pressure hence heavier bottles withstand higher internal pressures .